Build #5

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

johnmcneely
Major Contributor

Build #5

Post by johnmcneely »

The completion of Hull #5 has begun not 60 hours after its arrival in Colorado.

First step, apply primer to interior of Cuddy Cabin in preparation for the coat of exterior, oil-based, White Enamel.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1134889453 ... ildOfHull5

~John
Peter E
Major Contributor

Re: Build #5

Post by Peter E »

Just think John you are ahead of me and you just started....Pete hull 52

Enjoy the rest of the build.
johnmcneely
Major Contributor

Post by johnmcneely »

Hi Peter. That may be but look at the money you saved by doing it all yourself? In truth I could not have done what has been done alreaqdy on #5. I don't have the skills, the tools or the shop. The support and expertise of a good fried nearby building a SCAMP of his own is what lead me to believe that I could complete this project. When do you think you will be done with #52? Where do you plan to mostly sail it?

~John
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Hi John,

You can do it, I know you can! Just go one day at a time.

The metal tubing supplier that Mike uses for his mast and spar materials is Metal Supermarkets. Website if www.metalsupermarket.com

We use the one in Oklahoma City mostly but they have locations all over the United States in major cities.

The trick is that the materials are cheaper at the stores than the prices they show on their website which surprised us. We drive to OKC to pick ours up after we have phoned them and ordered it, as they are sometimes out of stock but order it and phone you when it arrives.

The other reason we drive and pick it up is to avoid them cutting it to ship it via UPS which has a limit on length. We want whole pieces often too long to ship.

Jackie Monies
croixe
New Contributor

Post by croixe »

Jackie,

Is the metal link http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/
The other link took me to a metal crucible site.

Thanks for the awesome info on masts!

-Croixe
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Yep! That is correct one!

I was just back from an 8-6 p.m. all day trip to two of my doctors in a far off town. One thing I have learned, the boonies may have more freedom and stuff like lakes but the doctors are in big towns!

Jackie Monies (You are welcome and I can find more stuff probably or close)
johnmcneely
Major Contributor

Re: Build #5 Sure starting to look like Red SCAMP's sibling

Post by johnmcneely »

Hi All,

New photos have been posted showing the boat sanded in preparation for the first coat of Safety Red. Paul Breeding taught me the technique of using a roller to apply the paint and then feathering it into a smooth finish with the lightest of strokes of a wide brush. Note I did not paint up to the gunnels because additional Epoxy will be used in that area and I was not precise in keeping some of the Red away from the Black bottom paint. That is because later this week, I will be using Black, Oil-based enamel to raise the water-line about 4 or so inches. I'll be using blue painters tape to keep the black off of the Red. But in that general vicinity there will be four coats of oil-based enamel: two of Red and on top of that two of Black. Have also purchased the 2" boom aluminum tube for attaching the sail loose-footed that I prefer to maximize shape control. Will be priming the spars this afternoon with the Aluminum-specific primer and then applying white enamel. Selecting white for the Spars and the deck/cockpit because of it not getting so hot. I understand this introduces glare. I can use Sunglasses for that. But I may need to be able to handle the Spars on a hot day and want to keep the deck/cockpit as cool as possible. See the photos at:

~John
Anders Bjorklund
Regular Contributor

Post by Anders Bjorklund »

johnmcneely wrote: "Will be priming the spars this afternoon with the Aluminum-specific primer and then applying white enamel. Selecting white for the Spars and the deck/cockpit because of it not getting so hot. I understand this introduces glare. I can use Sunglasses for that. But I may need to be able to handle the Spars on a hot day and want to keep the deck/cockpit as cool as possible."

John, color choices are highly personal, and there is nothing wrong with bright white. On the other hand, adding a subtle amount of tint can reduce a lot of glare, without seeming to get any hotter in the sun. I guess it comes down to the look that you like.

Cheers,
Anders
johnmcneely
Major Contributor

Post by johnmcneely »

Hi Anders. When I was at Mike Monies' Boat Palace over a week ago, he had me conduct a little experiment. He had some spars laying in the grass in 108-degree Oklahoma Summer heat. One was White the other was ever so slightly off White. I was able pick up and to hold the White one in my hand. I was not able to hold the off white one any length of time before having to drop it because it was so hot. I was amazed that the slightest addition of non-White pigment could make such a difference. Of course the conditions were extreme, and it may not matter where you live, but it made a believer out of me. It can get over 100 in Denver in the Summer. It got me to thinking about the conditions in the cockpit or on the fore-deck. If such a slight amount of color could make that much difference, what impact might it have on the fatigue of skipper, crew and/or pets who might come aboard on a hot day? You are quite right, however, it is a personal choice. But since I am so new to the boat building scene, I have opted to take my lessons from one as experienced as Mike. Thanks again for your observations.

~John
johnmcneely
Major Contributor

Re: Build #5: Painting can be a humbling experience

Post by johnmcneely »

Remind me to ask John Welsford if he has a calculation on the drag coefficient for paint runs on a hull (smile). Second coat of Safety Red today. It may take four coats to achieve true opaqueness. Runs are driving me nuts. They even show up where I didn't think I'd put that much paint. Constantly smoothing out with a brush. SCAMP #5 will look good from about 20 feet. Yesterday did my 20-mile bike run and hadn't seen that I had stained the back of the calves of both legs with some Safety Red. A passersby asked me if I knew I was bleeding (smile). Primed some of the spars yesterday and painted the yard and upper half of the mast. Bought the 12-foot 2" tube for the loose-footed boom. Boy was that tube pricey ($201 with tax, but available locally). Will prime more spars today. Thought I would get to raising the waterline this week but now that there will have to be more coats of Safety Red on the topsides, the waterline raising will be pushed out. See the last three photos for the update using the link below: