Red Lantern Rally

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Derek
Regular Contributor

Re: Red Lantern Rally

Post by Derek »

Keith! Epoxy fest 2014! I'll be waiting for you! lets glue in Liberty 53's Sole. Seat tops. Skirt. Also Lazarette.

As for Scamp fest. Not sure My girl (scamp girl) will be ready........ but you never know! I'll probably make it up non the less. boat or no boat.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi Dan

Thanks for the reply on confirmation for the August SCAMP Skills Academy.

As an FYI- The April Skills Weekend is fully booked with 12 sailors and a waiting list. Bit of a surprise and a good one. Looks like we will have the largest fleet of SCAMP's to date on the water.

August is close to fully booked so if there are sailors out there interested in joining please shoot off a private message here or an email to let me know. August is looking like a full month of all things SCAMP, SCAMP Camp, SCAMP Skills Weekend and the Red Lantern Rally.

Bcbimmer wrote:I plan to be there. If I can get confirmation that I am signed up for the SCAMP Academy I plan to be there both weekends and the week in between, any excuse to get off work. Hopefully with freshly finished #70 in tow. If anybody wants free labor at the SCAMP camp, let me know.

Sorry got to say it. Would it not be appropriate to get a block of rooms at the Palace Hotel for the Red Lantern get together? After all, it was Port Townsend's classiest Bordello in its day.

Cheers,

Dan
Bcbimmer
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Bcbimmer »

Before I book a place to stay for the Skills Academy through to the Red Lantern, can somebody tell me whether they are being held in
Port Townsend or at the Northwest school of Boatbuilding site? Is the SCAMP camp at the northwest marine Center?

Thanks,

Dan
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Hi Dan,

All of these events will be centered around the Maritime Center and Point Hudson, so that's the end of town to shoot for.

—Josh
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
Arlie
Regular Contributor

Post by Arlie »

What does the Scamp Skills Academy entail? Is it necessary to register for the Red Lantern event in August? Tnx Arlie
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Arlie wrote:What does the Scamp Skills Academy entail? Is it necessary to register for the Red Lantern event in August? Tnx Arlie
Hi Arlie
Not sure if the Red Lantern requires registration, perhaps Josh can answer this one.

Please consider having Humu in the water during the April Skills Weekend even if the Skills Weekend is not for you. Many folks would like to see her docked with the other boats.

The April SCAMP Skills Weekend is fully booked with a waiting list. However if there are sailors with a boat then it is still possible to enroll. The reason being as we have both sailors with boats and sailors without boats and I am attempting to make sure we have enough boats in the fleet to handle all sailors for on water sailing sessions.

Arlie let me know if you are interested in April. August still has a few openings but I can't say for how long. Some sailors are signing up for both Skills Weekends.

For the SCAMP Skills Weekends the following was included in the registration packet sent to participants:
***************************************************************************************
SCAMP Skills Weekend
Logistics

Who:
The weekend is open to all sailors interested in sailing, building or buying a
SCAMP. This means all sailors, even those who might never build or own a
SCAMP but who are intrigued with the design and how she performs.

What:
We will attempt to cover all aspects of the boat including but not limited to:
- a brief on the design and building or buying a SCAMP. This will include the Gig Harbor Boat Works SCAMP.
- handling characteristics based on SCAMP’s unique blend of design elements.
- one design class.
- trailering, launching and retrieving.
- rigging.
- getting underway from docks, ramps and beaches.
- returning to docks, ramps and beaches and close quarter maneuvering.
- means of manual and mechanical propulsion (options presented).
- sail trim and boat attitude while sailing.
- optimal hull trim.
- reefing and shaking out reefs.
- sailing maneuvers including sailing to weather, tacking, the fetch, reaching, broad
reaching, running and gybing.
- sailing SCAMP across the wind range (keep fingers crossed for light to heavy air
during the weekend).
- capsize prevention, capsize recovery set up and technique.
- cruising SCAMP, loading, trim, sleeping aboard and cooking aboard.
- open topics participants may want to have addressed.

When:
Saturday April 19th and Sunday Aril 20th 2014. It is suggested that those of you bringing your boats reserve a dock space at the Point Hudson Marina and launch on the afternoon of Friday April 18th. I suggest anyone attending the weekend without a boat to stop by the marina as there will be opportunities to lend a hand and/or see boats during the afternoon. I will be flying into Seattle from Japan on the evening of the 17th and plan to be at the Marina all Friday afternoon.

Where:
Point Hudson Marina, Port Townsend, Washington and on the water in and around Port Townsend and perhaps into Kilisut Harbor. Please reserve a dock space for your boat. When contacting the Harbor Master I suggest asking to be docked with the other SCAMP’s that have reserved dock spaces.

Point Hudson Marina- (360) 385-2828
Harbor Master- Tami Ruby- tami@portofpt.com

The venue for our Skills Weekend is actually on water, beaches and docks and not the Point Hudson Marina. The Marina is where we will stage from for our activities and do some close quarter maneuver sailing, demonstrations, docking and dock side discussions.

Time/Dates:
Friday: Launch and rig boats.
Saturday- 9:00am- Noon, (one and a half hours for lunch) and then 1:30pm to 5:00pm. However we have convened to sail so depending on the group and individual preferences I am very willing to push on past 5pm if doing so would prove valuable.

The Skills Weekend actually begins with a group breakfast at 8:00am at the Point Hudson Café. The Café is ideal in that it is located right on the Point Hudson Marina site yet unfortunately they do not take reservations. My friend Bob (Peanut) and I plan be there before 8:00am to stake out a table.
Sunday- 8:00am breakfast at the Point Hudson Café.

How:
The Skills Weekend schedule is designed with the objective of orienting each participant to the SCAMP sailboat with a focus on boat handling and sailing. As the instructor for the course I have elected to forego classroom time in favor of on land, on dock and on water time utilizing the boats. If needed due to inclement weather I am working to reserve a meeting room for our use. Meals, launching and dock fees not included in the tuition fee.

What To Bring:
You should bring the following items.
If you are bringing your boat:
- Two or three life jackets recommended, each with whistle on a lanyard.
- Two anchors, chain and line.
- Dock lines. I recommend four 15 foot lines and at least one 30 foot line.
- Method for bailing. Recommended:
- a manual bilge pump and/or electric pump.
- a heavy-duty bucket on a lanyard. I happen to like the farm type black rubber
feed bucket available from most farm/feed stores. Collapsible or other
types are also good choices.
Remember there is no better bailer than a scared man a bucket so it’s best to have a
strong one.
- A Clorox type container with the top cut open to use to top off the ballast tank or
some other method for topping off.
- Stirrup or other re-entry system in place.
- Signal horn.
- Flare set.
- Compass.
- VHF hand held radio. (optional but important to have aboard any small boat).
- Oars, yuloh or SUP paddle.
- Outboard engine if you plan to use one in the future.
- Sail ties.

Suggested clothing, other gear and one final item:
- Life jacket.
- Warm clothing and two changes of warm clothing.
- A warm hat, such as a wool watch cap.
- Foul weather gear. A sou’wester type of head gear is an excellent choice.
- Dry suit if you intend to be an in boat participant in a capsize recovery drill.
- Baseball style hat or other type used to keep the sun off.
-Water bottle.
- Sailing gloves.
- Sunglasses.
- Knife, preferably on a lanyard. Serrated or straight blade or combination, your
choice.
- Notebook and pen.
- Sunscreen.
- Camera or cell phone for taking photos of course elements we discuss, sail settings,
rigging, etc. I highly recommend taking photos or video.
- And finally bring a positive attitude and good sense of humor!

Note:
Our objective is to sail and discuss the boat in detail. We have much to cover in two days. I acknowledge the information listed above in the “What” section seems ambitious yet if we each pay attention and work together as a team we can accomplish most if not all of our learning objectives. Please think of the formal course beginning at Saturdays breakfast as we meet each other and begin the discussion. However due to the number of boats attending I am suggesting we informally begin Friday afternoon.
Have your notebook and a pen on hand.

Venue
Port Townsend can be a very challenging place to sail. The water is cold, currents strong and the area is often subject to high winds and rapidly changing conditions that try the best of weather forecasters. I pay very close attention to wind, weather and tides. As your instructor I can only conduct on water activities if each of you have the requisite skills needed to manage your boat safely.

Therefore I respectfully reserve the right to make decisions throughout our time together regarding whether we sail or not and/or who sails and when. Thank you.

If at any time you as a participant feel unsure about anything we are doing there is no need to be concerned. I will gladly take you out sailing with me or I will sail with you on your boat or if more comfortable you can observe from shore. No one will be pressured to do anything beyond his or her comfort level.

The point of the weekend is sharing knowledge and having as much fun as we can squeeze in to two and a half days. Group breakfasts, lunches and dinners are a great way to keep talking about SCAMP sailing.
***************************************************************************************
Arlie, I hope this has helped.
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Hi Arlie,

As the summer approaches we'll post some info about Rally registration. It won't be terribly formal, but it will be good to know the expected turnout, and we'll post a general itinerary.

—Josh
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
Arlie
Regular Contributor

Post by Arlie »

Howard and Josh. Thanks for the April invite. We're sorry but we will be gone that weekend. Won't tell you where, but they serve Mai Tai's. Howard, I learned that the Village in Pohnpei closed. Sad note, but sure glad that we got to stay there several times. Thanks again, Aloha, Arlie
Brent65
Major Contributor

Post by Brent65 »

Red Lantern Rally Organizers,

I would love to see courses offered on:

1-rigging (I know there has been some evolution of thought compared to the original rigging suggestions.) Complete with reefing line/lazy jack.
2-anchoring/anchor line management for midday lunch vs overnight stays.
3-righting drills (where you actually go out and practice the steps)
4-trailoring ideas (storing/securing the mast/boom/sail/yard for long trips)

Just my 2 cents,
Brent from Idaho
Brent Butikofer

Scamp: Hagoth
https://buildinghagoth.wordpress.com

Scamp: Shackleton
https://buildingshackelton.wordpress.com

Pocketship:
https://idahopocketship.wordpress.com

Never Stop Learning or Exploring
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Hi Brent
Not sure how much can be offered as courses during the two day rally. I think it will be one busy two days and much of the time will be spent sailing. There will be lots to learn informally though.

The SCAMP skills specific intensive program is the SCAMP Skills Weekend August 7, 8 and 9th. As Josh plans the Rally a few of us will be helping out and will discuss your suggestions, they are all good. Time is the question.