Red Lantern Rally

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Editors
Site Admin

Re: Red Lantern Rally

Post by Editors »

We're thinking of an informal itinerary (oxymoron?) like this:

Saturday morning—launching boats that aren't already in the water (at Mystery Bay ramp).

Saturday late morning—visiting, checking out boats, etc.

Saturday afternoon—First ever SCAMP class racing?

Saturday late afternoon—Potluck and or BBQ

Sunday—Messing about with an optional, weather dependent cruise over to Port Townsend waterfront and back.

Chime in with any thoughts or suggestions. It would be ideal if someone wanted to oversee the potluck, and someone else wanted to oversee race planning, but we'll muddle through regardless.

—Josh
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Hey Josh,

I'm flying in from Florida and not in a SCAMP so it would be nice to have some sort of sign-up sheet for those captains willing to accept a passenger or two for a sail. Boat name, captain name and cell number would be good information for someone looking for a ride.

Dave Robertson has graciously offered his boat for someone to crew aboard but I will be there with my somewhat heavy cousin and my somewhat heavy self so didn't want to overload his boat especially since he will have his (or one just like it) for sale. I think he would be happier with a lighter crew for, as you know, excessive weight is a killer for sailing performance and he needs to have his boat looking lively and responsive at all times. At least that's the way I see it.

My cousin and I are both about 220 lbs. so maybe we could get rides on separate boats. Also don't really want to carry a life jacket on the plane so if there is an extra life jacket for use, that would be good information too.

Sure would appreciate any help you could provide for us heavy guys flying in from across country and wanting a ride in a SCAMP.

Thanks,
Kenjamin

p.s. – I'm in pretty good shape really and a halfway decent sailor but my cousin is a complete novice and every bit as heavy as me.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Have a friend who calls people like that "intelligent ballast". Anyone else use that term?

Love, Jackie Monies The Red Scamp and Sail Oklahoma http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SailOklahoma/
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Hi Kenjamin -

Noddy should be able to get you a sail. Maybe we can split up you "heavyweights":-)

Yesterday we were out sailing in Port Townsend Bay.
My two crew totaled 440 lbs and I'm at 180 so that was 600 plus all the gear I had aboard. No motor or batteries.

We sailed fine but were down on the lines a bit and dragging the transom. Still we clocked 4.3 kts going to windward with a max for the day at 5.2.

See you both at the Rally!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Kenjamin,

All sounds good. I think it will all be fairly casual (but you never no what racing will do to a normally sane person), so should be no trouble to get you both out sailing.

I'll try to bring a few extra PFDs along.

As for crew lists and such, would it be best to make those conversations part of this thread? I suppose folks could call me at the magazine to add themselves to one or the other lists, but it might cut out the middle man just to post it here.

For myself and old #1 SCAMP, I'll be happy to rotate a few people in as crew over the weekend. If another couple boats do the same we should be in good shape.

Josh
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Here is so more good information on the venue from Glenn Woodbury. He's a small-boat guy and longtime local:

"You've covered most of it. For those who don't have a launch sticker ($80/year), which also let's you park; it's $7 to launch and $10 a day to park the car and trailer. If people want, they could drive down to my place after they launch and park in my turnaround; I could ferry folks back up to Mystery Bay (it's 3 miles from our place). Like most ramps around here, it's better near high tide, though with a Scamp any tide down to zero is doable, below that and you're off the end of the ramp. I'm not sure what the mooring buoys or overnight dockage cost (up to 3 nights allowed), but there's room to anchor a Scamp in the inshore shallows, and half a dozen could swing on one of the Park moorings. There's an in ground fire pit, but bring your own grill; or just a portable barbeque. Can't guarantee weather, but usually benign until September."

I told him we probably wouldn't take him up on his shuttle service offer, but it's good to know our general plan looks doable.—Josh
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Thanks Guys,

That all sounds good. Maybe some of us "intelligent ballast" can help a little bit with some of those launching and parking fees. Sonny and I should be there about mid morning Saturday and I hope we can hang around at least a few hours. I haven't really talked with him about the possibility of sailing so I don't know how he feels about it. Sonny is actually my cousin Gay's husband so I guess he's technically my cousin-in-law. He's a great guy, everybody likes Sonny. Me, on the other hand...
Dave Robertson
Regular Contributor

Post by Dave Robertson »

Roger #77 and John Sutherland have asked for rides, but hey, we can rotate. And as I can sail a Scamp any 'Ol time in not opposed to the idea of just turning over the reins to anyone who can keep the pointy end up.

Dave R
Dave Robertson
Regular Contributor

Post by Dave Robertson »

Regarding weight capacity: We just built a Scamp with big battery bank for electric propulsion (yes, sail rig too).

The new owners asked for a tutorial sail so the very first time out, in addition to 200 pounds of AGM batteries in the ballast tank we had two full grown men plus a nicely proportioned lady*. I'm estimating the total passengers and cargo about 675 - 700 pounds. The brand new Scamp was just a tad tail down but sailed impressively well in the light 5 knot breeze.

* diplomatic, eh?
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

Dale and I will be sailing in from Port Hadlock on Saturday in Zephyr and Luna. We will be solo so will have space for crew. I think we'll have plenty of crew spots across all the scamps.

Those without scamps should rotate around and check out all the mods.

I can't wait!
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161