Red Lantern Rally

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Red Lantern Rally

Post by Monies »

Gosh, it sure makes me wish we could have miraculously joined you guys! I asked Mike if he wanted to fly out but he is still just not up to it. You all must promise to have twice as much fun to make up for us not being there. This is something I have been waiting for since we cut the first piece of the Scamps, the day there would be an entire fleet.

Congratulations to Josh and SCA and to all of you Scampers! Jobs well done and keep on building and sailing Scamps.

Love, Jackie and Mike Monies- The Red Scamp
mrogers
Major Contributor

Post by mrogers »

A few posts ago Glen Woodbury suggested that mooring out may be possible or necessary. Do I Need to bring my 8' skiff for taxi service?
Roger-Scamp177
The pleasure I get from a boat is inversely proportional to it's size cost and complexity
godocgo
Regular Contributor

Post by godocgo »

I will be there with Little Tramp
Either joining Keith and Dale from Port Hadlow, or launching at Mystery Bay

Phil
kenjamin
Recognized Old Salt

Post by kenjamin »

Hey Simeon,

Thanks very much for your kind offer. I'll probably be looking for you and Noddy sometime mid-morning Saturday.

Thanks again,
Kenjamin
willpower
Regular Contributor

Post by willpower »

Hello Scampers--new guy here--just heard about scamp about six weeks ago and am jumping in with both feet. Plan to drive the pickup (boatless) up from central California coast for the rally next weekend and to pick up a kit from SCA and (hopefully) a trailer from Gig Harbor and drive back down. Of course would love to go for a sail at some point on the weekend if a spot comes available. I've been sailing small and not so small boats most of my 70 years so would at least make semi-competent crew. Also plan to ask the folks at Northwest School if I might peek in on the workshop for a while and maybe even help if any is needed. While the message board is wonderful, (special thanks to Dan with build #70) actually seeing what others have done and watching it happen in real time will be invaluable. Looking forward to meeting some of you scamper folks. Sounds like a pretty frisky bunch.
--Josh, I own a small Achilles inflatable dingy that I could bring if you think it might be helpful for taxi work. Let me know.

--Will (no number yet)
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Roger, that would be great if you brought a dink for a shuttle. I can see where we'll have some sleeping aboard Scamps at anchor and some left rafted up, etc., so a dinghy would be handy.

Will, I'd hate for you to drag any extra gear all the way up here. I think our friend Marty Loken will also be around with his little powerboat, so we should have enough options, but if you have it with you, who knows.

Looking forward to it!

—Josh
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
fred4win
Major Contributor

Post by fred4win »

Hi Willpower.... and welcome aboard...I am glad to hear how you enjoy this forum and also the Scamp...Jump right in cause I know you will not regret it....Great little boat and this forum is full of help if you ever need it.....I am 70 myself and you will not be alone...Most are not admitting there age on the forum, but I suspect many are in our club...most are called old salts. You will have no time to get old here....

If you want to follow another build? I have given you my link to the boat I built with very few tools and clamps. It was built less than two years ago here in the Philippines. I did not have the privilege of using a kit due to the high cost of shipping here but no mater, I wanted this boat so I built from the plans only...it is a little more work but still very much worth it...When you go be-sure to take your camera,,,,this is a great place to post your pictures...I will not be able to go, but all your pictures is greatly appreciated.

http://smallcraftadvisor.com/message-bo ... ?f=3&t=502
Winning is for every thing losing is for nothing
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

It was suggested we should have a potluck/ BBQ on Saturday afternoon. That would be a nice, but I'm not sure with so many coming from out of town how easy it will be to have everyone bring food. There are picnic tables and restrooms at the Mystery Bay park, but not BBQ grills.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, fire away.

Still thinking of doing a race or two on Saturday and then maybe a group cruise on Sunday.

—Josh
mrogers
Major Contributor

Post by mrogers »

For lunch my thoughts are: For the reasons you mentioned it will be difficult for some people to provide potluck. If we all just bring a bag lunch there will be less stress for everyone. It's about Scamping not an eating experience. Costco is on my way I will pick up some chips or cookies so that there is a little extra but it shouldn't be required of everyone.
Last edited by mrogers on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger-Scamp177
The pleasure I get from a boat is inversely proportional to it's size cost and complexity
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

It's about Scamping not an eating experience.
Well said, Roger!