Sail Numbers and Logo Placement

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Arlie
Regular Contributor

Re: Sail Numbers and Logo Placement

Post by Arlie »

Howard, thanks for the response. Thought we might have to sail at night incognito. See you in a few months. Aloha
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

Hello all. I recently put my sail numbers on, and thought I should post this series of pics, in case anyone's interested in the process used. I received the numbers with the Neil Pryde sail, ordered from Small Craft Advisor. I think Josh also sells the numbers separately.

They're made of sticky-backed ripstop sailcloth (? or nylon?), pre-cut in the form of a numeral 8, which can then be cut to any numeral required.

Once peeled off their backing sheet, they want to stick to anything immediately, so I found a piece of non-stick material in my graphic arts supplies to help position them correctly. I think a piece of "culinary parchment" from the baking supplies section of the supermarket would also do the trick.

Working on the starboard side of the sail first (the top set of numerals), I made some quick measurements, and used masking tape to mark the positions I wanted the numbers. (These pics are from the second, lower set, on the port side)

ImageAfter plotting location, I peeled the adhesive number off it's backing, and stuck it to a larger non-stick backing sheet with a half inch hanging over the edge, and rubbed that edge into place

ImageFolded it back...

Image...and peeled...

Image...enough to rub down more of it, peeled more, rubbed more, until the number was down

Image… next number, and so on...

ImageSail number 162, now officially compliant to the "International SCAMP Class Association"!

See you out there!
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Nice post!
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

I'm posting to get the "Sail Numbers" issue back at the top part of the queue. Maybe it should be a sticky?

There are a lot of SCAMPs starting to hit the water now and the issue of sail numbers keeps coming up.

The numbers are assigned as the plans are issued. Josh at SCA has the sail numbers in stock. I'm not sure if the pre-cut "do-it-yourself" pack is issued with the sail or not, but Josh has them.

The proper placement is set out in the first post of this thread by Howard. The port side set and the starboard side set need to be vertically offset, with the starboard side being higher. This is to allow good legibility as the translucent sail allows the opposite side number to be seen when the sail is back-lit. (The starboard side of the sail is the side with the green telltales ;) )
SCA Cover.jpg
Dale (Luna #162) gives a good write up on how he applied his. See his earlier post above in this thread

If you are sailing your SCAMP without sail numbers, take the time to apply then. It's not that hard and shows "pride of ownership" :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by simeoniii on Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
willpower
Regular Contributor

Post by willpower »

And Dave Ender's blog at "woodnmetalguy" shows his technique for applying numbers. Works like a charm. --Will
knasman
Major Contributor

Post by knasman »

What is interesting about that picture above is that Luna and Zephyr both have Neil Pryde sails, and put the numbers on relative to the lantern logo, yet the lanterns logo's are in different places. Luna's is on the 3rd broad seam and Zephyr's is on the 4th.
Keith Nasman
SCAMP Zephyr #161
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

I could be wrong but I think SCA recommended to NP to raise the logo at some point after the first few batches of sails. Maybe Zephyr(#161) has an earlier batch and Luna(#162) was purchased later?

A cursory look through images shows the logo on #170, #281, and #290 higher on the sail
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
dsimonson
Major Contributor

Post by dsimonson »

It's a virtue of being one number higher… better, right?
;)

Yes, my sail was ordered as much as a year later than Keith's, so your story is more likely than mine!

Dale
pstovner
New Contributor

Post by pstovner »

Were or who do I contact to get a sail number assigned. I have a 2015 SCAMP made by Gig Harbor Boat Works Hull number 515. Thanks - Paul
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Josh at SCA has the numbers so he's the man. He'll probably pick up on your post but I suggest emailing him smallcraftadvisor@earthlink.net with your location and mailing info.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11