Russell Brown hatch questions

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

miguelito
Major Contributor

Russell Brown hatch questions

Post by miguelito »

Hi Scampinators,
A big day in Tor's build! I finished the almost last coat of paint on the deck and house, and I'm excited to start mounting hardware. I'm also ready to put in the seals for my nine Russell Brown hatches, and I want to catch up on current thoughts on sealing these hatches.

The plans call for contact cement after careful preparation of the surgical tubing and the groove in the base, and that has worked well on their boats. I'm tempted to use another kind of marine adhesive sealant, but 3M and Sikaflex make about eight different kinds, and I'm not ready to gamble on any of these without contacting the brother/sisterhood of scamp builders. I've even thought of using the "extreme duty" double stick tape I used to attach my CB gasket, but I'm not sure it would allow for a perfect seal. At least with the tape, I can experiment without making a huge mess and committing to an unproven adhesive.

I like these hatches (that's why I have nine), and I want to make this critical mounting/sealing step only once, so please let me know if you have experience with this process and what has worked for you. Josh, since you are at center court in the Scamp game, anything new to share?

Thanks all, and happy sailing,
Mike #170 "Tor"
Editors
Site Admin

Re: Russell Brown hatch questions

Post by Editors »

Hi Mike,

I don't have an answer on the exact sealant. If you don't get a sufficient answer in this thread I'd be glad to ask Russell for his additional thoughts.

—Josh
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Why not follow Russell Brown's instructions? They worked as advertised for me. My hatches have held up for five months now. I quote sections from his manual.

Use good contact cement (the flammable and smelly kind). I used DAP Contact Cement. It should be stirred well before use.

After roughing up the surface of the gasket, I stretched out the surgical tubing a looong way and secured each end to the work bench with heavy duty push pins before applying a healthy even coating of rubber cement, using a short section of foam roller, on the top surface of the tubing. I let it tack up for about 25 minutes.

Meanwhile I coated the bottom of the gasket notch with a stiff trimmed acid brush and let it set up for about 20 minutes.

Then carefully un-pin the gasket and trim one end (square off) with a sharp razor blade. Start by placing that end of the gasket in the notch with the sticky side down. Rotate the gasket when placing it in the notch to keep the side with adhesive facing down. Donʼt stretch the gasket.

When getting to the butt joint, mark the gasket about 1/8" longer than needed and trim square using a thin stick to cut on. Apply contact cement to both ends of the gasket and push in place as shown to compress the gasket joint before pushing the rest of the the gasket into the notch. Push the gasket down firmly with your fingers all the way around.

Put a piece of tape over the joint and install the hatch to press the gasket into the notch while the glue dries fully.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

I go along with what Simeoniii said. My comment is make sure It is fresh contact cement,not a container that has been opened for a long time. A bad Experience is a good teacher, I learned. Take care that after the cement has set up you don't accidentally let two parts you don't want to stick together touch each other. Another bad experience.
miguelito
Major Contributor

Post by miguelito »

Very good advice, gents. I'll make sure the grooves are sealed and scuffed and get fresh glue and carry on per directions. This has worked well so far, so I'm glad not to have to get creative. This phase is very exciting, and I'm looking forward to a pre-spring launch party and a skills academy in April.
Thanks!
Mike #170
gbortel
New Contributor

Post by gbortel »

Would someone who has installed Russell Brown hatches, specifically in the cockpit sole, be willing to evaluate them in use? I've read concerns that spot loading might cause leaks and turn dogs could be knocked out of position through movement around the cockpit. But I've never read a follow-up after they were installed and in use for that application.

Scamp #140 is upright and ready for the sole to be installed. Should I pursue RB hatches for this purpose or would another alternative be more appropriate?

gcb
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

I am beginning to contemplate the gaskets for my Russell Brown style hatches and am wondering how deep to cut the grooves. Specifically, I am wondering whether to leave the gasket proud enough that even when closed, the hatch will not be in contact with the coaming as seen in the pictures below, or bury the gasket deeper so that the hatch will be in contact with the coaming but still providing a seal. The pictures, of course, are showing the grooves on scrap.

Advice?
IMG_1946.JPG
IMG_1948.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.