Oh The Places You'll Go!!!

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Oh The Places You'll Go!!!

Post by simeoniii »

Very nice! One of these days I'll join you...
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Dick I hope you know I did buy the Gig Harbor Scamp for myself and I plan to do some west coast sailing with her. I want to thank you for getting the boat started with Klompen and how much I appreciate the work that GH put into duplicating Scamp in glass.

Will be in Washington to take delivery in July and plan to be around for awhile, so looking forward to meeting you and all the rest at Port Townsend.

Love, Jackie Monies "Cowboy Cookies" Scamp
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Scamp group, I am still not believing all the wonderful things that are already happening to me because of the Scamp. I will get to meet and hang out with some of the most interesting people it has ever been my good fortune in life to encounter, all because of a twelve foot boat I already love.

Simeon, you are included in that group and thank you so much. July cannot get here soon enough for me and getting to come to Port Townsend and learn to sail her, take part in all the Scamp Camp and skills events, the Red Lantern Rally, the Palooza events. To be included means more to me than any of you will ever know.

The first place my Scamp is going to take me to is Port Townsend, WA and the Pacific Northwest and that is wonder enough.

Love, Jackie Monies "Cowboy Cookies" Scamp
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Just got word my Cowboy Cookies Scamp will be ready to pickup on July 3 from Gig Harbor. What a wonderful way to celebrate the July 4 holiday, in Port Townsend with my very own Scamp in tow.

I did a map search for routes and discovered three choices. Remarkably I have driven all three more than once. It is 30 to 32 hours from Eufaula, OK to Port Townsend, WA which I already knew. See sentence before.

Not going through Texas panhandle and to Albuquerque to Salt Lake City. Done that one a few times. That used to be our old sales territory.

One map search recommends Denver to Salt Lake City to Seattle which I have also driven but not often. The other map search gives the northern route through Kansas to Nebraska and South Dakota to Seattle through Wyoming, etc. as better.

Map #1 gives the northern route as an alternative route to avoid all the toll roads and the mid-range route as better on I-84.

I may be towing a 20 foot Core Sound hull if we can find all the pieces before I have to leave to include with it. I have someone coming Monday to help with that, so maybe trailering enroute, maybe no trailer.

Anyone have towing or not towing opinions on the routes? I know I get a fair amount of traffic down here for Sail Oklahoma from the Pacific Northwest and from Colorado as well.

Thanks and love, Jackie Monies
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

Monies wrote:I did a map search for routes ...
Jackie:

once you get to Denver take I-25 north to I-90. this route takes you over just one significant mountain pass (lookout at the ID/MT boarder) and two lesser passes, fourth of july (ID) and snoqualmie (WA), that are not much to worry about (in my opinion and experience). the only traffic on this route is leaving Denver and passing through Spokane & Seattle/Tacoma (see below).

off of I-90 take highway 18 to I-5.

take I-5 south to highway 16.

after you cross the Tacoma Narrows bridge (no toll heading west, toll is charged heading east) you take Gig Harbor exit. Talk with GHBW for specific directions to their place once you get off highway 16.

to continue to PT take 16 to hwy 3 to hwy 104 (crossing hood canal floating bridge, there is no toll) and then hwy 19.

for your stops on this route plan on Billings, MT, and Spokane, WA. this is the busy season so best to make a reservation a couple days in advance.

Spokane is about 4.5 hours from Seattle so a good stop before the last leg of the trip (see next paragraph).

plan trip so you transit Seattle/Tacoma between 10am and 2pm, or after 7pm (otherwise you will experience the WORSE TRAFFIC in the USA).

any route taking you near Salt Lake takes longer due to traffic, more mountain passes and winding roads (it is especially winding I-84).

NOTE: you will need to stop in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho for a boat inspection ... even if you are not stopping to sail in the state. keep any eye out for the signs noting 'BOAT INSPECTION'. if you go through Oregon you will also be stopped. these inspection stations are usually at rest areas or semi-truck weigh stations.

if you pass through Denver you are REQUIRED to stop for a visit in Golden! :D
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
wyosuds
Regular Contributor

Post by wyosuds »

The route Dave describes also brings you right through Casper, another REQUIRED stop.!
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

OK guys, the departure date keeps being moved up so I can stop and see both of you! I have doctors' appointments daily through Friday so earliest I could leave is Saturday morning. If I don't tow the Core Sound 20 it will be easier of course. I am nervous about trailer condition more than towing it.

Seriously doing laundry and getting ready to pack for summer camp and months away from home. I am not down to the small duffle bags I see you guys carrying but at least the shoe suitcase and the luggage trailer isn't going!

Anyone else want me to stop in besides Dave and John? I probably won't have time to bake any cookies before I leave but I will try.

Love, Jackie Monies Cowboy Cookies Scamp