Well, its official

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

CaptDon
New Contributor

Re: Well, its official

Post by CaptDon »

Are you aware of the West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron here in Florida? (west coast of Florida) Just so happens they have a long weekend event in Cedar Key this weekend, most of the group will be in Cedar Key from Friday through Sunday. They had a day sail at Lake Harris several months ago also. Check out their web site.

Don
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

CaptDon wrote:Are you aware of the West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron here in Florida? (west coast of Florida) Just so happens they have a long weekend event in Cedar Key this weekend, most of the group will be in Cedar Key from Friday through Sunday. They had a day sail at Lake Harris several months ago also. Check out their web site.

Don

I knew about the Cedar Key Messabout in May of next year and was planing to attend that. I did not know about the West Coast Trailer Sailing Squadron. I will certainly check that out.

Thanks for the info.

PS. After a quick look at the Lake Harris gathering last February I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I want to get involved with this group!!

http://wctss.ij.net/photos156.html
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

I just received word from the Fiberglass God about repairing the Lusty Slogger. It seems a roller had come off the trailer (it was practically brand new, having been produced in 1976) and the brace had punched a hole in the hull of the LS. Repair of the hole and replacement of the roller will set me back $850.00 or $100.00 more than I paid for the boat!!!!. I had found a Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender in Jacksonville for $2500.00 and thought about getting that instead. But decided to go with fixing the LS. She is a good boat and I have had many an enjoyable sails on her. In as much as B O A T stands for Bring Out Another Thousand who knows what evil lurks in the hull of the Cape Dory! So, the boat is currently at Steele's Fiberglass and Marine in Leesburg, FL and hopefully I will be able to retrieve it by Christmas.

I think my problem is the boat was originally named "Judy" and I changed it to Lusty Slogger without the all important Renaming Ceremony being performed in advance. Perhaps I should rename it "The Lusty Slogger" and then do a Ceremony and sail happily ever after.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

One thing is certain!... I ever I call my wife by an other name, I'm in big trouble!... ;)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

I took all the junk off my trailer years ago. I replaced it with two 2X4 for the sides and a 2X6 for the keel/center. It made the boat lower and easier to launch and retrieve too! ;)

Imageremorque by Michel Boulet, sur Flickr

Imageremorque1 by Michel Boulet, sur Flickr
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

I'm glad you decided to tend to The Lusty Slogger, she's been a good boat & is quite a looker! The renaming ceremony is fun, I highly reccomend going that route. I bet it'll be smooth sailing from here.
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Michel
The fiberglass God told me he was going to fix my trailer exactly like you have done to yours. I did put new bunks on a few years ago but left the rollers in the middle. He is taking the rollers off.

By way all, I highly recommend the book Tranquility. Its a very good read.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Great! A small boat does'nt need rollers. It is a lot safer without these things. I have a ballasted retractable keel so I needed the 2x6 in the center for support. But bunks are enough for most small boats. :)

Tranquility eh?... ;)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~