Sailing clubs

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Re: Sailing clubs

Post by Art Haberland »

sounds like Sail Oklahoma has it right.

around here there are so few sailors and so much money it is hard to even join a Yacht Club let alone become a member of the board.
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Monies wrote:You know the best way to attract a great bunch of boaters, get people involved and new people interested is to do what you are planning. Just take action on your own. I have to confess that is how Sail Oklahoma began, as a way to get people to come sail with Mike and share his passion. It is amazing what has happened but do not tell me that one person cannot make a a difference, they can if they try.

Sail Havasu was such an event, the most successful groups that go on for years in our little world are like that. No officers, no membership committees, no boards of directors. The one I love is BOOTS, the Lake Texoma, TX-OK group where whoever shows up for breakfast at the marina restaurant on Sunday is on the "board" and determines next events dates.

We have hundreds of members in Sail Oklahoma but no officers. I find it much easier to be a dictator!

Love, Jackie Monies

Ah, Jackie Bligh is it?
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Having an event like a cook out reminds me of the festival that was held at a local Monastery. They had all the usual edible selections but they couldn't find anyone to prepare the fish or the french fries. Finally two of the Brothers came forth and volunteered to cook those items. And forever after they were known as the Fish Friar and the Chip Monk.

I don't make them up folks, I just tell them!
Charlie P. (NY)
Regular Contributor

Post by Charlie P. (NY) »

I was part of the student orientation at my college and I assisted the photographer in placing the little (Polaroid) image on the student ID and handing it to the man at the laminator. He had to allow 120 seconds before putting it in the plastic sleeve and shrink wrapping it or the heat screwed up the image. He'd let us know he'd hit the mark by yelling "TIME" so we could pick up the card for the student.

He happened to be the campus Chaplin - so thereafter we called him "Father Time"

PS - I have a laminated photo of this cute girl that was also working at orientation in my wallet (just checked). That was 37 years ago and she is now THE ADMIRAL. * sigh *

Sorry - getting a little stir crazy from cabin fever.
Charlie Pearsall
Mud Hen 17 (1986)
s/v Mad Hatter
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

You know if Sail Oklahoma had a board of directors and officers we might still be discussing/arguing whether anyone would actually come, where it would be held, who'd do what, on and on. It is why I don't do well in women's groups. I subscribe to the "go ahead and do it. Full speed ahead and fire the torpedoes" course of action.

It is not an event that common sense would tell you should have ever been held. After about 3 years the city council and elected officials, committees, figured out what was going on, when they offered help and sponsorships, publicity, etc. I told them I thought we were doing just fine and already had all that taken care of. Of course what they wanted was me out of my back yard and into the city!

Since I live in the country with absolutely no rules other than don't make the neighbors mad I can do as we like. And somehow Sail Oklahoma does seem to govern itself. We listen to members and accept help and ideas.

Grass roots to me is the way to go with small boats. Mike and I never belonged to yacht clubs, which is not to say we didn't have friends who did and customers. It just wasn't our thing.

I do believe there are sailing clubs with involved members who are open minded, try to educate and promote the hobby, promote youth groups. More power to them and may they succeed.

Sorry this turned into a lecture!

Love, Jackie Monies- Sail Oklahoma and the Red Scamp
Peter E
Major Contributor

Post by Peter E »

Jackie, I was chuckling all night about what you said about being a dictator.

You know it true, that women are better dictators than men. Any women that raised children knows that. There is nothing better than GET ER DONE !!!

pete
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

You know that Mike always said he built the boats but periodically I would come out to the Boat Palace and say, "You are going to North Carolina to sail in the OBX with the Moffitts." Or other events all season. He claimed it was because I wanted him out of house but he was always out of the house anyway. I just wanted him to go sail in interesting places with interesting people and take an interesting boat.

You know of course that is one of the easiest ways to help promote sailing and boats (or canoes or kayaks or whatever you do) because you will ineffably meet curious people along the way or on the water who see you and your boat. And it is a funny thing, boats attract more boats and that attracts more boats. Sort of like a flash mob in an empty square.

You all have me on one of my favorite subjects. How to get people on the water.

Love, Jackie MOnies
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Monies wrote:You know that Mike always said he built the boats but periodically I would come out to the Boat Palace and say, "You are going to North Carolina to sail in the OBX with the Moffitts." Or other events all season. He claimed it was because I wanted him out of house but he was always out of the house anyway. I just wanted him to go sail in interesting places with interesting people and take an interesting boat.

You know of course that is one of the easiest ways to help promote sailing and boats (or canoes or kayaks or whatever you do) because you will ineffably meet curious people along the way or on the water who see you and your boat. And it is a funny thing, boats attract more boats and that attracts more boats. Sort of like a flash mob in an empty square.

You all have me on one of my favorite subjects. How to get people on the water.

Love, Jackie MOnies

Speaking of dictators and women, my wife was raised a strict Baptist. She firmly believes that the man is the head of the house. She also believes the women is the neck and the neck controls where the head goes!
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Lustyslogger, you and I are same age, 70. I too was raised by a strict Baptist grandmother but I became an Episcopalian, more of an Anglican than American Episcopal church, so I think women can and should be anything they like. Including dictators and commodores or admirals.

Love, Jackie Monies- The Red Scamp
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Monies wrote:Lustyslogger, you and I are same age, 70. I too was raised by a strict Baptist grandmother but I became an Episcopalian, more of an Anglican than American Episcopal church, so I think women can and should be anything they like. Including dictators and commodores or admirals.

Love, Jackie Monies- The Red Scamp
My wife would certainly agree!!!!!

Actually, I raised my daughter that way. After all she may have to take care of me in my dotage and I certainly want her to be able to make enough money to do so!!!