The end is near!

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

Michel
Recognized Old Salt

The end is near!

Post by Michel »

It is that feeling again!... The melancholy of the sailing season getting near to it's end. At the same time, I feel like I have the whole St-Lawrence to myself!

https://youtu.be/5GMgrpJ_WJ4

https://youtu.be/PiqHvMZUfkk

A few sails left and the boat will be out of the water.
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Re: The end is near!

Post by lustyslogger »

BTW, Have you seen this? This looks really cool except that it only records for 10 to 15 seconds. I don't know if you could keep tapping and taping but this would kill two birds with one set of oars!

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3064078/sn ... l-be-a-hit
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Looks like fun! But a GoPro fixed on your hat will do the same and more! ;)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

I knew I seen these glasses somewhere! The old Batman serie! The Bookworm! ;)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Michel wrote:I knew I seen these glasses somewhere! The old Batman serie! The Bookworm! ;)

Where did you find that picture of Josh??
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Michel wrote:It is that feeling again!... The melancholy of the sailing season getting near to it's end. At the same time, I feel like I have the whole St-Lawrence to myself!

https://youtu.be/5GMgrpJ_WJ4

https://youtu.be/PiqHvMZUfkk

A few sails left and the boat will be out of the water.
I can last until mid November most years. This one has been so strange I don't know. It was a near record days over 90 degrees and is just starting to let up. This week end is supposed to be nearly perfect 75 degrees, no rain in sight and winds below 10 kts. I have only been out 3 times this year because of the heat (and business, but mostly the heat). We all need to beat on Josh to stock up on new books to carry us through the winter. He does have one new one and I am going to order it but I will have that finished within three days of receiving it.

JOSH ARE YOU LISTENING??????
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

That's it!... I just followed my feeling and took the boat out of the water before it turns ugly. It can happen fast in my region!

She's home. I will now take care of her and put her to sleep until spring. :)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

A sad day to be sure but now you can spend time making her a gem on the river in July (that's the beginning of your spring isn't it?)
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

lustyslogger wrote:A sad day to be sure but now you can spend time making her a gem on the river in July (that's the beginning of your spring isn't it?)
That is my project!... And... Summer goes from the 23 of July to the 12 of August! Sometimes there is no wind!... ;)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

I am lucky in that the lake does not freeze around here. I have a friend with a boat on Lake Erie who is out of the water from October to June. I can keep my boat in the water year round. However, from December to Mid March or Early April its much too cold to do much with it. I just go down and sit on the boat (I have an electric cabin heater that will bring the temp inside up to about 70 on all but the coldest days. In December and March I revarnish everything and replace what lines I need to replace. Since its fresh water I don't worry too much about growth on the hull, I just make sure I scrub it down as much as I can. There is a place I can "careen" the boat before or after the water is too cold and this lake is over run with carp that fed on the bottoms of our boats. We do have a problem in the works with zebra snails but so far they haven't been an issue in this lake.

When I lived in Florida I remember going out one Christmas Eve in 75 degree weather. That was nice. But I also remember one July 4th with temps near 100 and humidity around 95% and wind gust all the way up to -5!!!