Hurricane Matthew

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Hurricane Matthew

Post by Art Haberland »

For all that may be in it's path. Good luck and be sure everything is tied down, boarded up, and well secured. It is going to be a rough ride!
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Hurricane Matthew

Post by lustyslogger »

I had planned to go to Charleston this week end for our wedding anniversary. I think I may go to Chattanooga instead!
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

probably for the best. At least this years mid-Atlantic Small Boat Festival in St. Michael's MD wasn't cancelled due to a hurricane like it was last year. Yes it was wet and windy with tidal flooding, but it went on and was a lot of fun
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Its amazing that with all of the new scientific equipment we still cannot predict the path of a hurricane. I remember Hurricane Dave in Florida. I was living in Jacksonville at the time and all of the news reports was that the hurricane was going to hit Jacksonville dead center, all except one weatherman that is. George Winterling (who named his first child Wendy Gale!) had been on the air for 40 years and he predicted the storm would not pass within 200 miles of the coast. The city went nuts and everyone was trying to get inland and clogged I-10 and I-95 to the point no one could move. Well, guess what, the hurricane passed 250 miles out to sea and while there were some 30 mph winds there was no flooding.

I have been though 5 or 6 hurricanes, including one at sea and one in 1965 that flooded New Orleans almost as bad as Katrina. They are nothing to take lightly but we should be more aware of what is really happening rather than what the sensationalism of the news media wants to tell us.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

It is very rare that a hurricane reach up to my region in the Saint-lawrence valley. We met the tail of Irene a few years ago and it made quite a sensation to us, who are more at ease with blizzards! ;)

As you can see on this little video, my boat was really dancing on her mooring! ;)

https://youtu.be/3DPg2rCrUwg

I prefer not to see some real wind BTW!... :shock: :o
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

They are predicting a lot of water with this Hurricane. I think the manditory evacuations have as much to do with flooding and high winds.