Preferred method of lashing mast hoops to the sail?

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

westybuoy
New Contributor

Preferred method of lashing mast hoops to the sail?

Post by westybuoy »

Good morning!
I'm in the process of replacing the probably 30 year old sail on my new-to-me Peep Hen and figured now is the time to consider using mast hoops. I made a bunch in the shop, with a nice chamfer on the edges, courtesy of my lathe, and am now evaluating the best method of bending the sail to the hoop. There is a good illustration in the Gaff Rig Handbook starting with a girth hitch on the hoop using heavy cord and one in the Duckworks archives of using a fast eye brass clip lashed to the hoop. I don't plan to take the sail off very often so I don't need a removable solution, unless it is the best method. I'm looking for suggestions and I appreciate any feedback. As usual effectiveness is most important, but so is aesthetics. On another note, I made about 12 hoops, but some suggest you only need to use about 5 or 6 to do the job. They'll be hard to add later, so I'd like to get it right the first time.
Thanks for all of your help!
Stu
westybuoy
New Contributor

Re: Preferred method of lashing mast hoops to the sail?

Post by westybuoy »

Thanks to the good folks at Hensnest, a site for owners of Hens- Peep and otherwise- I may have found an answer to my question. It may have been obvious to old salts but to a boy still before the mast, I appreciated their feedback. They suggested using a sail shackle from Sailrite. I ordered some,lashed one to my Sched 40 plastic mast hoop with some #7 waxed poly cord and used a sail protector with a 3/4" cutout to eliminate any restrictions. I'll post a couple of photos for comments- pro or con. I'll finish the ends of the cord when I go into "production"!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.