What boat is the most easy to launch and rig?

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

smccall
New Contributor

What boat is the most easy to launch and rig?

Post by smccall »

I would like to keep a boat in my driveway so that it does not cost me anything but it is too much work with most boats to take down to the water and launch and rig to go for a sail in the evening after work.
Most of the time we are day sailing but I would like a boat with a small cabin that two could sleep in and I would like sitting head room not slouching head room if possible. I have a Foxcub 18 just now and I keep it in the water at the marina because it is too much work and the mast is too big to put up by myself. It also has three side stays and an adjustable back stay that need to be attached each time.
I have been thinking of something like a Siren which is light and easy to trailer but would like to here from people who have a boat they can take sailing for an evening after work.
Stan
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Re: What boat is the most easy to launch and rig?

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

You just need to add a lightweight and easy daysailer/evening sailer to your fleet. Keep your current for longer trips and sitting headroom.

Otherwise, sitting headroom in a cabin is going to be the limiting factor. I guess the way to start would be mast size? Maybe a mizzen would buy you some ease of handling. (b/c each mast would be smaller?)

The more I think about.it, the more I think you need a second zippy little evening cartopper in addition.

Have fun!
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

A gaff rigged boat is easier to rig as the mast are shorter and easier to handle. Of course gaff rigged boats are generally costly as well.
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

great 15' foot boat, Sage 15 & SageCat, that is the cover photo and review article in the current issue of SCA (May/June '17, #105) :-)

easy to rig -

exceptional sailing boat -

--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
PAR
Regular Contributor

Post by PAR »

A well designed tabernacle will make hoisting and dousing the rig easy and fast. I have a 23' ketch of my design that I can rig on the water, after she's launched. I can lower both masts underway to avoid bridges and I often come back into the ramp, beginning by lowering and stowing the mizzen. Once on the trailer, I usually lower the main and once I've pulled her up and out, I tidy up the rig, making it road ready. Boats that are well setup like this, actually get used. Boats that take too long to setup, remain in the carport with a forlorn expression on their bow.
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

wdscobie wrote:great 15' foot boat, Sage 15 & SageCat, that is the cover photo and review article in the current issue of SCA (May/June '17, #105) :-)

easy to rig -

exceptional sailing boat -

I had the good fortune of seeing the 17 foot Sage at the Annapolis Boat Show a few years ago. My initial reaction was the boat was designed by Harry Potter as the interior space seemed larger than the exterior space!!!! I would suspect the 15 continues that magic.
Charlie P. (NY)
Regular Contributor

Post by Charlie P. (NY) »

We can be in the water 15 minutes - often less - from arrival at the lake with our Mud Hen 17.

Gaff rigged unstayed mast on a tabernacle. Bimini and perambulator dodger stay in place. Trailering toneau cover so all the gear stays inside. Trailers with the engine and rudder in place. Mast, boom and yard (and sail) ride on a gallows and are secured with a single Sunbrella cover.

In fact, we can launch and rig on the water just as easily; even singlehandedly.

Charlie Pearsall
Mud Hen 17 (1986)
s/v Mad Hatter