toying with skiffs.

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

Art Haberland
Major Contributor

toying with skiffs.

Post by Art Haberland »

So many boats, so little time to build.

I am looking at two different skiffs that are similar, but so so different. One is the ever popular Goat Island Skiff. Fast, easy to build, lightweight, and seemingly designed to get run up onto the occasional beach.

The other is the Catbird 16. Similar in size, but with twice the weight, a small cuddy cabin for overnighting, and I think better for single handing.

Both would be done with the lug yawl rig option.

thoughts from the hive? I am not interested in winning any races (so few sailboats here anyway) but I do need skinny water capability, easily trailered and launched, and a spot to hid a pot due to my intestinal issues
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Re: toying with skiffs.

Post by lustyslogger »

Go with the Catbird 16. Personally, I am a big fan of boats with cuddy cabins, regardless of how small. My Sunbird 16 has a cuddy that keeps my lunch out of the rain and gives my dog somewhere to get out of the sun! It also satisfies your need to hide certain things that are better left hidden!! Besides, to me that Catbird looks very "boaty".
Charlie P. (NY)
Regular Contributor

Re: toying with skiffs.

Post by Charlie P. (NY) »

Of the two I would tend towards the Goat Island Skiff. THE ADMIRAL and I are at the point we don't sleep on boats that don't have box spring mattresses. ;-)

For me it would also be about 1/3 the time to to build and fit out. I did a "build it in a weekend" 15 ft sharpie and it took six months. But I made it nice and had a balanced lug sail made for it by Robin Lincoln that was a work of art.

Or Mud Hen 17 is pretty much an open sharpie - but we have a bimini and perambulator (folding canvas) dodger that can be lowered for simplicity or raised for foul weather or beating sun (or to use the porta-pottie). A simple solution without the weight penalty when not needed.

http://www.cmdboats.com/catbird16.htm

http://www.chase-small-craft.com/goatislandskiff/
Charlie Pearsall
Mud Hen 17 (1986)
s/v Mad Hatter