Hello?

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Hello?

Post by Michel »

Just want to say that the sailing season is over for me. My boat is sitting on the trailer besides my home. I got myself an inflatable kayak and I really enjoy that new toy! It will never replace sailing but it is quite pleasant. I like the exercice! :)

ImageDSCN4302 by Michel Boulet, sur Flickr

https://youtu.be/aUWgmFrlOvI
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Hello?

Post by lustyslogger »

I was wondering what happened to everyone! Its been a very quiet summer.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Probably the quietest I have ever seen!
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

I made a couple of attempts to get stuff going.. nothing
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

What happened to the joy of sharing photos, videos and stories?

Who is on the look for an even smaller boat?
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

You be the video man. No one else comes close.

BTW, I saw in the last issue of SCA a blurb regarding a woman throwing crackers over the side to see if the boat was actually moving! I thought I was the only one that did stuff like that. I have upgraded however. I was in Dick's Sporting Goods, a big box sporting goods store and saw some 3 ft rods and reels on sale for a whopping $9.00. I bought one and a couple of lures. Now when things are dull I stream the lure off the stern. If it moves away from the boat then I know we are still moving and my philosophy is that if the boat is moving then we are sailing. I also have the added benefit of possibly catching a fish. Maybe someday that will happen, hope spring eternal you know.

I will be moving in November from the beautiful mountains of East Tennessee to the horrid, stuffy, humid, bug infested bayous of Central Florida. I think I may have let it slip in my description of the area that I am really not looking forward to this. I have spent the last year trying to find a suitable body of water that I could afford to sail on. I think I have found it in Lake Harris in Tavares Florida, a mere 40 miles from where my wife is making me move! (I am 50 miles from Cherokee Lake now so that may be an improvement.) One would think that Florida would be an ideal area to sail. It is if one can afford the dockage fees. A 22 ft sailboat in St Augustine is $375.00 per month and they advertise they are the least expensive marina in the area. Most are like $450.00 and up since they have a 30 foot minimum. The marina I checked out in Tavares is $120.00 a month but the lake is somewhat small (about 13,000 acres, I was told about 8 miles from one side to the other). I also think I would be the only sailboat at this marina. I will keep everyone posted on the ongoing adventures (if any) of the World Famous HenriLina.
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Michel wrote:What happened to the joy of sharing photos, videos and stories?
https://youtu.be/MBbmO38D0I4
https://youtu.be/xDWQIrJJxsc

Who is on the look for an even smaller boat?

Squeaky tiller is a huge understatement Michel!!
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Ha ha ha! :D
Must be that spider poop everywhere! The boat needs a real good clean up! ;)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Michel wrote:Ha ha ha! :D
Must be that spider poop everywhere! The boat needs a real good clean up! ;)

If the squeak is coming from the tiller rubbing against the stern there is an easy solution. I glue one of those pads that you put on the bottom of chairs to keep them from marring your floor on the tiller. It then raises the tiller just enough to not rub on the rail.

Spider poop and wasp condo's. The bane of the sailor.

Actually, here in East Tennessee we get swifts building nest under the sail covers. They are cute to watch darting about eating all sorts of insects until you take the sail cover off and there is a nest with 4 or 5 beautiful blue eggs in it. Now what to do, be a curmudgeon and sweep the nest and the eggs into the sea or sit around for several weeks until the eggs hatch and the chicks fly away? I figure, what the hay, I could also put another coat of varnish on the hatch cover, or clean the bilges for another two weeks!!!
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

That is a nice idea Norman! I wil try it for sure. :)

I once had a bird ( a red-winged blackbird) who adopted the top of my mast as a residence. It was going crazy everytimes I went sailing! :) We can see it at the beginning of this video!

Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~