Help Wanted

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Help Wanted

Post by lustyslogger »

I need some information regarding main sheet placement for the Lusty Slogger. Currently it runs from the ,middle of the boom to the middle of the cockpit. This is a good location in most instances as no matter what tack I am on the main sheet is always in front of me.

However, the draw back is that it is afixed to the center line of the cockpit in the middle of it not allowing me to be able to stretch out on the cockpit sole. If I wish to overnight on the boat I would need to take a tent and go ashore.

So, I was wondering if I could move the main sheet so that it ran off the rear of the boom across the stern of the boat. It was that way on my Helsen. That gave me the entire cockpit if I needed it although it meant on a port tack the sheet behind me. I don't see where it would make much difference in the handling of the boat, in fact on the Helsen it served a bit as a boom vang of sorts pulling the end of the boom flatter

Any suggestions?
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=5921

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=135
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Help Wanted

Post by Michel »

My sheet goes to the back. I have a traveller. Some boats like the Siren 17 have the sheet on a line and it works pretty well. Very simple arrangement. :)

Take a look at it on this video :

Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Thank you. I had a Luger Leeward 16 that had a similar arrangement.

It was rigged as shown in the second photo down

http://lugerboats.tripod.com/rigging/

As you can see he is on a port tack. When he changes to a starboard tack the sheet is now effectively behind him and awkward. The Lugar also had the centerboard trunk right in the middle of the cockpit (and splashed water everywhere until I got a kit to cover the hole in the trunk)

There are several drawbacks to the Sunbird arrangement. First is it takes up space in the cockpit for camping. Secondly, as one gets older one becomes less surefooted. I have tripped over the block several times.

All the world is a compromise eh Michel??
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Well, when one gets older one also gets forgetful!!! I googled Sunbird mainsheet rigging and got this from 2013.

"My sailboat (a AMF Sunbird 16) has the mainsheet control running from the middle of the boom down into the sole of the cockpit. This means its right in the middle of the boat and effectively cuts off using the cockpit for "sleeping quarters". I once had a Luger Leeward 16. Its mainsheet was controlled from the end of the boom and was threaded through sheeves attached to the stern rail. The disadvantage of this arrangement was that one tack I was controlling the mainsheet backwards.

Has anyone had any experience in relocating the mainsheet on the boom? What are the plus or minuses of doing so? I was told once that moving that control would upset the balance of the control but since all it is doing is controlling the position of the boom I can't understand why that would be the case.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated."

The Lusty Slogger July 1, 2013
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

Thanks for that belly laugh!
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Don't worry about that Norman! It is certainly a manifestation of what is called the "Mandela effect" ! :)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Friends with SCAMPS
Major Contributor

Post by Friends with SCAMPS »

But, did you get any responses or info? On the Trailer Sailor forum, there is a West Wight Potter group. They have had many a discussion of mainsheet placement on P15s.. searching the archives might be helpful. Also, could uou easily make the block on the cockpit sole removable for sleeping? Many P19 owners made the cables to the keel raising system removable for easier mobility in the cabin... good luck!
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Two things
(1) - The only person who answered me was Michel. I don't know if changing anything is really worth it to be honest. I don't know how many times I will sleep on the boat. I only slept on my Helsen twice..

(2) - This is interesting. This is my boat, and the first four pictures are of my boat but I don't remember trying to sell it to anyone. Very odd to say the least.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index ... 16.174630/
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Hey Norman!

1) The only thing changed will be that you will have more space in the cockpit. Why not? ;)

2) An other occurence of the Mandela effect?... :D
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Michel wrote:Hey Norman!

1) The only thing changed will be that you will have more space in the cockpit. Why not? ;)

2) An other occurence of the Mandela effect?... :D
Yeah, see above post. After racking my modest brain I remembered that just after I bought the Helsen I had entertained the idea of selling the Lusty Slogger. There was a young man from the local college who was crewing for someone else who said he was interested. I think I sent him the two photos of the boat in the water and he must have taken the other two. I had no idea he did that because after one correspondence I never heard from him again.

Maybe I should go get checked out for my long term memory loss.