A Sandpiper 565 on lake Erie (Video)

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Re: A Sandpiper 565 on lake Erie (Video)

Post by JacquesR »

Hi Dave. The boat will be in the water for 5 months. I've always applied Interprotect and antifouling to my previous boats to prevent osmosis and to help reduce the growth on the hull. Made it easier to clean. Previous owner only used the boat a couple of weeks a year. Otherwise the boat sat on the trailer.

Hi Michel. Yes I'm in Québec (Gatineau). I mainly sail on the Outaouais river (Club de voile Grande-Rivière). I bought the boat last September in Laval. I have yet to put it in the water. :)
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

based on the boats age i'd lean towards not worrying about the time/effort and MONEY to put on a bottom seal. the boat will dry out for MONTHS at a time and unless the resin work of the builder was REALLY BAD unlikely the boat will 'blister up'.

bottom seal is sold to boats that LIVE in the water - our trailerable boat do not.

ask yourself this question - how long am i going to own the boat and how much $$$$ do i wish to spend on something that is worth less than the bottom job.

blistering started being a big problem in the mid-to-late 70s when the resin changed (less VOX mainly). this messed up the builders and this is why boats of this age had such problems.

my boat is a '83 and the prior two owners kept her in-water for 8-9 months a year (Quartermaster Harbor, Vashon Island, WA). all she ever had was bottom paint (much needed in saltwater). NO blisters.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Hi Jacques!
Sandpipers are very good little boats. I wish you have as much fun with her that I had with mine.
I keep my boat in the Saint-Lawrence (east end of Montreal) for the whole season and I strictly do nothing regarding the bottom. No paint, nothing. There is some growth near the water line at the end of the season and I simply brush it away once it is dried up.
https://youtu.be/xLSEEOFdlAw
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Post by JacquesR »

Hi Dave. The boat will be in the water for 5 months. All my previous boats had Interprotect and antifouling. The previous owner kept the boat on the trailer. ;)

Michel. Yes I'm in Quebec. I mainly sail on the lac Deschesne of the Outaouais River. I bought the boat in Laval last September. Can't wait for Spring to put it in the water. :D
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Hey Jacques! Could you tell us about your previous boats? Did you downsize when you got your Piper? :)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Post by JacquesR »

My previous boats were 23 footers, a Paceship 23 and a Matilda 23. We decided to downsize as both my wife and I have medical problems (her knees, my hip) and moving about is a bit painful. We wanted something simple but fun to sail. We hope the Sandpiper is that.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Sandpipers are indeed simple and fun to sail but you must be aware that she will heal faster than a bigger boat. Small boats also need more finesse skills in sheeting to get the best possible out of the sails. You will need also to reef earlier and more often.
The cabin is also more "camping" oriented.

Imagesandpiper by Michel Boulet, sur Flickr
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Post by JacquesR »

Michel. The heeling and sheeting don't bother me much and I don't go out when reefing is required. I like cruising in a gentle breeze. I'm done with sailing as a sport. Now, sailing for me must be relaxing. I simply love to gently move along and enjoy the peace and quiet. Plus a smaller boat is easier to maintain. Less things that can go wrong. Plus with a trailer, maintenance can be done at home instead at the yard, which is 45 minutes away.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

I agree at 100% with you Jacques. I love the same kind of sailing. I also love to cruise and I make at least a few days trip on the Saint-Lawrence every summer. :)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Michel