Looking for boat partners or to downsize

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

McKee
New Contributor

Looking for boat partners or to downsize

Post by McKee »

We are (still) looking for partners (1 or two parties) in our boat Pendragon. The boat is located in NW Washington.

This could be be a piece of the monthly moorage (and a few days of labor here & there), or purchasing a "share" of the boat.

For better or worse she is not a novice’s boat, and the engine situation is not ideal (15 hp outboard). Our partners would need to have experience operating traditional boats, and a Washington State Boaters Card or better yet a masters ticket and tall-ship time.

Here’s the basics of the boat. She’s a Cornish Trader (hull#11) originally a gaff ketch now a gaff cutter built in 1979 in the UK. The hull and deck are glass, and the house and rig are wood. 29’6” length on deck, and about 38’ overall with the bowsprit run out (it gets run in to save on moorage). She’s 7 tons displacement originally, though probably a bit lighter now w/o the inboard and mizzen rig. She draws 3’6” with the centerboard up, and 5’6” with it down, and has a beam of 9’6”. She has tiller steering. Sleeps 5 in a pinch, 2 in the vberth, 2 in the salon, and 1 in the pilot berth. The main has 2 reefs in it. The staysail is now on a club, and is self tending. The jib is set up on a traveler, and has a running jib stay (Dyarchy style). I am happy to get into the details of the jib for anyone that wants to know NOW, but I will spare everyone else the details.

The state of the boat is as follows...
Rig (mast down and completely serviced spring 2016), hull, and deck is sound.
Basic safety - pumps, flares, fire extinguishers, and etc are current. Not sure how many PFDs are onboard (at least 2). Many throwable cushions, and a life sling that needs to be rigged. Amsteel lifelines and stanchions added summer 2017
Plenty of sails to play with (maybe to many) - main, club footed staysail, jib, 2 topsails, and a drifter all in good shape, but not necessarily pretty.
Ground tackle (and a manual windlass that works) - 35 lb CQR on 100 ft of 5/16" chain, and ~ 200 feet of 3/4" nylon, 20 lb danforth on ~20 feet of 3/8" chain, and 150 feet of nylon, and a 50 lb folding Luke fisherman with chain and rode (not onboard currently).
No icebox/refrigeration (we use a portable cooler).
Working propane oven/stove (force 10)
Electronics
She has a functioning depth sounder/knotlog
New (as of last year) GPS/chartplotter.
Handheld VHF
Electrical
New house battery (55Ah AGM), and charged by a decent solar panel.
LED bulbs almost everywhere (not in V berth yet), including the nav lights.
Plumbing
The freshwater system has been overhauled (foot pump and water lines replaced)
Working manual lavac head with a 10 gal tank

In process...
House water damage
Repair to aft end of the house -
port nearly complete,
stdb yet to be started)
Water damage to the forward end of the house (repaired but not painted)

The catch(es)...
She is underpowered (15hp) and the outboard that set up is weird. I plan on addressing the setup, and the horsepower, but we don't have a timeline. This could be addressed if we had the right partners/sharing agreement, but there is no solid plan currently.
There is no centerboard uphaul currently (hardly the end of the world).
Cosmetically in rough shape (better all the time).
The boat hasn’t been hauled in years.
The heater is currently non-functional, could likely be repaired but I have a small wood stove that I plan to install soon.
Head door is jammed in the pocket. Curtains anyone?

Or we could trade down to a 20-25 foot trailer-able boat. Shoot me a PM if you are interested in more info.
- Bolger Black Skimmer "Otter"
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Re: Looking for boat partners or to downsize

Post by Art Haberland »

wish I was not on the wrong coast.