Trailering kit...

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

McKee
New Contributor

Trailering kit...

Post by McKee »

I am going to go get the new boat in a few days, it's about 1000 miles one way. What do you bring in your kit for long distance trailering. So far I am planning on... ball to match the trailer, basic mechanic tolls, a multimeter, several lengths of 12/2 conductor, an assortment of compression connectors, some heat shrink, zip ties, spool of seine twine, knife & spike, several sets of rachet straps, some rope, chafe pads (fire hose), and ?

The trailer has new tires, surge breaks, and is basically new.
- Bolger Black Skimmer "Otter"
PAR
Regular Contributor

Re: Trailering kit...

Post by PAR »

You're way over thinking this. A new trailer is likely to not cause issues, but if there are any, they'll likely be tire related. I'd skip all that you're intending to bring and pack a can of "fix a flat" just in case. If you need to replace the ball, it's probable you'll have bigger issues (the trailer/boat took a walk at 60 MPH). Wiring, lights and these sort of things very rarely fail, with just over the road operations. Twine isn't going to hold anything, though a few extra straps and a knife are good ideas. Extra padding might help too.
Charlie P. (NY)
Regular Contributor

Post by Charlie P. (NY) »

Full tool box (pretty much anything I would use to work on the car or trailer - wrenches, sockets, etc.). One of the handiest things is a small coil (maybe 30 ft) of bailing/monel wire. Thousands of uses - from mousing an anchor shackle to holding up a muffler or wayward berth board on a trailer. Won't burn through like twine.

I have a dedicated "electrical" box (orange plastic "ammo" box) with wire cutter, crimper, various connectors and spools of wire, multi-meter, vinyl tape.

Spare tire and real lug wrench - trailer lugs are a different size than my SUV.

And I always have flares, safety vest, rain coat, flashlight(s), fuses, 100 ft of 5/16"(+/-) line and a first aid/trauma kit in my SUV.

Does the trailer have Zirk fittings for the bearings ("Bearing Buddies")? A grease gun. For a 1,000 mile trip I might even pull the caps and check the bearings/lube.
Charlie Pearsall
Mud Hen 17 (1986)
s/v Mad Hatter
McKee
New Contributor

Post by McKee »

Made it back fine. The hubs didn't even get warm if we were careful with the breaking. Stop and go traffic in the stretch between Olympia and Seattle got the hubs a bit warm.
- Bolger Black Skimmer "Otter"