Rigging your snotter...

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

McKee
New Contributor

Rigging your snotter...

Post by McKee »

Rigging up the black skimmer's mizzen for the first time, and I've run into a hitch... I've only had about 15 minutes to look at it and both of the kids were "helping", but I thought I would check with the group mind. Anyway the lacing fouls on the pad eye on the way up and down.

The hardware and block for the snotter foul the luff lacing on the way up and down. It's a medal padeye screwed to the fwd side of the mast, with a small block shackled to it just big enough to pass 1/4" line. The picture is from the previous owner. I can post new ones one the kids are in bed.

Thoughts?
- Bolger Black Skimmer "Otter"
Charlie P. (NY)
Regular Contributor

Re: Rigging your snotter...

Post by Charlie P. (NY) »

When we had both our Nimbles (20 & 24) The mizzen rolled up (sleeved, rather than laced), so I just had to have a long enough outhaul to allow it to wind in.

There is a trick to lacing the luff that may help (we do this on our Mud Hen gaff main). It is not at all intuitive.

Look at the image below. Note how the lacing around the mast alternates. When dropped this give you MUCH more slack for passing over fittings.

Charlie Pearsall
Mud Hen 17 (1986)
s/v Mad Hatter
McKee
New Contributor

Re: Rigging your snotter...

Post by McKee »

Thanks, that's how I have laced every sail I had a choice on. We've gone with leaving the sail laced on, and roll it around the mast for stowage., most of the time. Shaved close to 20 minutes off of up rig and down rig.
- Bolger Black Skimmer "Otter"