Progress through steering

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Progress through steering

Post by Art Haberland »

Sometimes it feels like I am trying to eat an elephant and making no discernible headway and suddenly I realize that I have finally made noticeable progress, one bite at a time.

I realized that today with my GP. I spent the past couple of days working on the tiller. While not in bad shape, it did need to be stripped of varnish and all the worn out parts removed. This included the hiking stick on it's homemade wobbly "nut and bolt" joint between it and the tiller. I will also make honourable mention of the guide tube and hook for holding the rudder blade down. All went into the bin.

Because I needed to change the mounting holes for many things, I drilled out all the old holes to a larger size and with a bit of epoxy, hammered some oak dowels into the holes.

After letting them sit overnight, I trimmed them close to the tiller before sanding everything flush and clean.

And now the part where I realized I have made progress. A coat of Interlux Schooner 96 Varnish

waiting in queue for installation is a hiking stick by Jim Young Sailing for the Butterfly sailing scow and a bronze Tube cleat to secure the bungee cord that holds the rudder blade down.

Spark is moving right along. I will take apart the rudder next, sand and repair the blade before painting it gloss "ivory" from the Kirby catalog and then sand and varnish the rudder cheeks to match the tiller.
Cr4fterz
New Contributor

Re: Progress through steering

Post by Cr4fterz »

even if it may be a small accomplishment, that is still a good progress. keep up the good work!
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Progress through steering

Post by lustyslogger »

Art Haberland wrote:Sometimes it feels like I am trying to eat an elephant and making no discernible headway and suddenly I realize that I have finally made noticeable progress, one bite at a time.

I realized that today with my GP. I spent the past couple of days working on the tiller. While not in bad shape, it did need to be stripped of varnish and all the worn out parts removed. This included the hiking stick on it's homemade wobbly "nut and bolt" joint between it and the tiller. I will also make honourable mention of the guide tube and hook for holding the rudder blade down. All went into the bin.

Because I needed to change the mounting holes for many things, I drilled out all the old holes to a larger size and with a bit of epoxy, hammered some oak dowels into the holes.

After letting them sit overnight, I trimmed them close to the tiller before sanding everything flush and clean.

And now the part where I realized I have made progress. A coat of Interlux Schooner 96 Varnish

waiting in queue for installation is a hiking stick by Jim Young Sailing for the Butterfly sailing scow and a bronze Tube cleat to secure the bungee cord that holds the rudder blade down.

Spark is moving right along. I will take apart the rudder next, sand and repair the blade before painting it gloss "ivory" from the Kirby catalog and then sand and varnish the rudder cheeks to match the tiller.

I love a well varnished piece of wood. Kudos Art