Its been a bad year!

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Its been a bad year!

Post by Michel »

lustyslogger wrote:
wdscobie wrote:Bummer to read folks not sailing! I'm on day 106 aboard. Maybe I'm using everyone's sailing allotment?! ;-)

Those sharp pains you are feeling are not from being cramped up. Think hot sail mending needles in a voodoo doll!!!!!

I will have to say Dave, its a beautiful boat. Be of good cheer.
I also contacted a private sorcerer on this matter! :)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

Well according to this link https://people.howstuffworks.com/why-we ... d-luck.htm the gods are appeased by bare breasted women. . . . hmmm how to get that past the wife . . . hmmm . . . possibly appeal to her voyeuristic nature . . . :shock: . . . oh well back to the drawing board. :D
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Michel wrote:
lustyslogger wrote:
wdscobie wrote:Bummer to read folks not sailing! I'm on day 106 aboard. Maybe I'm using everyone's sailing allotment?! ;-)

Those sharp pains you are feeling are not from being cramped up. Think hot sail mending needles in a voodoo doll!!!!!

I will have to say Dave, its a beautiful boat. Be of good cheer.
I also contacted a private sorcerer on this matter! :)
LOL

Good, now we can approach him from two directions, from the North out of Canada and from the South out of Florida. Michel, I predict we will be sailing before the end of the month!!!
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

GregWads wrote:Well according to this link https://people.howstuffworks.com/why-we ... d-luck.htm the gods are appeased by bare breasted women. . . . hmmm how to get that past the wife . . . hmmm . . . possibly appeal to her voyeuristic nature . . . :shock: . . . oh well back to the drawing board. :D

Well, my wife would allow me to gaze at bare breasted women as long as I allowed her to pour hot sealing wax in my eyes first. I think I will pass on that one!!
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

I almost made it!!! I went to the marina today. The weather gods were on my side for once. No rain in sight, a modicum of water in the boat. I'm going to do it. I am going to go out. I call my wife as I am climbing in the boat. I tell her don't worry about supper for me tonight, unless something really strange happens in the next 10 minutes I AM GOING SAILING. I probably should not have said that!

Its a very tight marina barely enough room to turn the boat around. I begin backing the boat out of my slip into the "channel" It moves about 3 feet and stops. Have I run aground! I get out my wireless fail proof depth finder (a six foot boat hook). It doesn't touch bottom. To be on the safe side I pull the centerboard half way up. Still nothing!!! Then I realize I have the boat tied on three points and I only cast off two of them!!! I see the problem. The grass has grown up around the "cleat" I put in the ground (a screw type dog chain anchor) and I forgot about that spring line. I undo the line and try again. The boat moves nimbly out of the slip, gets three quarters of the way across the channel and once again comes to a complete stop! NOW WHAT, THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!!. The old girl won't go forward or backward. I pull out the auxiliary engine (A Shaw and Tenney custom made Adirondack Canoe Paddle, replete with the name "Lusty Slogger prominently engraved on the blade). Nothing, even with both the 55KW trolling motor (which will normally push us at 4 to 5 kts) and my rather lusty and colorful cajoling the the paddle to do its stuff, or else why did I spend all this money on it? Nothing. I do notice however every time I pull up the paddle there are streamers of vegetation on the paddle. I pull up the motor and the propellers are completed encased in water plants that are lurking below the surface. I clean the blades and try again, two inches and the props are once again totally covered like I had run into a 10 mile long drift net. The long and the short is I spent the next three hours in 95 degree heat trying to paddle my way out of this mess. I ran the motor to the point it stopped. Battery? Don't know, its still ran my bilge pump, probably burned to motor out. When I finally did get ashore (I went through 6 large bottles of "bottled for our friends in Florida" water but I'm still so dehydrated I can't pee!) I hied my self over to the marina office to "LODGE AN OFFICIAL COMPLAINT". I was politely told that it wasn't up to the marina, in fact they were enjoined from removing the plant life (God forbid it might actually be the nearly extinct Florida Boat Clogging Weed), It was up to the Department of Natural Resources to remove the vegetation. And if I had been paying attention to the ads for the primaries each candidate was blaming the other for not providing enough funds for the DNR to do its job!

So, it may be the fall before the weeds die off naturally and I can get out of the slip! I had no trouble getting into the slip in April so maybe!!

AND A POX ON ALL POLITICIANS WHERE EVER WE MAY FIND THEE!!!
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

I had that kind of problem in a marina I was some years ago. I had to motor trough some kind of dense salad every times I wanted to go sailing! I think I could have made a miracle and walked on water!
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

I have been doing a bit of research on the plant life currently acting like "kudzu on the water" The closest plant I can find is Florida Giant Duckweed or one of its cousins. It is a free floating pest that is pushed into the coves by the prevailing winds and by boat traffic. I suggested to the marina operators they borrow a couple of clam dredgers from Cedar Key and they told me yes they could do that but they would wind up in jail because only the water management people are allowed to dispose of the plants. I said that wouldn't be all bad, at lease I would be able to sail my boat and I could visit you in the slammer! They were not amused.

Anyway, in looking at all the interconnected lakes in and around Tavares, Leesburg, Mount Dora and Eustis I note all of the bodies of water are clogged. The nearest non clogged body of water is Cedar Key, about the same distance from my house as the boat is now and it would be on the gulf. Problem there is limited number of marinas and as a result maximum charges for slips!

They do go away in the fall so I will just be content (nothing else I can do) to go out of the boat and have a few beers and pretend I am sailing!!
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

finally heard back from my welder. I get the last part of my trailer repairs Friday. I only dropped the thing off in the beginning of June. I almost missed an entire summer of sailing.
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

Hope ya'all get out on the water ... Summer is heading to fall!
IMG_20180807_143630905-1008x756.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »