Book Review: A Little Breeze To The West

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

SVLastTry
New Contributor

Post by SVLastTry »

Reading a book in two nights is a rarity for me. “A Little Breeze To The West” was a short but captivating read. The authors use of his 30+ year old position reports and audio tape recorded log aided him to create a captivating book. Being approximately the same age as the author and having gone through the 80’s recession hit home for me in the pages of this book. Unlike the author, in 1982, I was married and working, not having the luxury of finding myself during a voyage to Hawaii on a small boat. I am doing my small boat expeditions now, at mid-life (age 56). At least I consider this my mid-life :-)

The importance of proper preparation is not something to find out part way through any journey. This book opens up the internal drama one goes through when alone and discovering how small a single human being is in the world, once you get out into the world. Dealing with Mother Nature and Father Time alone is enlightening and humbling. The voices in one’s mind are very loud when there are no other voices around.

I recommend you to read “A Little Breeze To The West” by Michael Scott Mann. Let it encourage you to take on a Small Craft Expedition of your own.

Regards,

Jude Miller
Small Craft Expedition Group - USA
Mermentau River @ Lake Arthur, Louisiana USA
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Book Review: A Little Breeze To The West

Post by Michel »

I read that book and liked it a lot. :)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

SVLastTry wrote:Book Review: A Little Breeze To The West

Reading a book in two nights is a rarity for me. “A Little Breeze To The West” was a short but captivating read. The authors use of his 30+ year old position reports and audio tape recorded log aided him to create a captivating book. Being approximately the same age as the author and having gone through the 80’s recession hit home for me in the pages of this book. Unlike the author, in 1982, I was married and working, not having the luxury of finding myself during a voyage to Hawaii on a small boat. I am doing my small boat expeditions now, at mid-life (age 56). At least I consider this my mid-life :-)

The importance of proper preparation is not something to find out part way through any journey. This book opens up the internal drama one goes through when alone and discovering how small a single human being is in the world, once you get out into the world. Dealing with Mother Nature and Father Time alone is enlightening and humbling. The voices in one’s mind are very loud when there are no other voices around.

I recommend you to read “A Little Breeze To The West” by Michael Scott Mann. Let it encourage you to take on a Small Craft Expedition of your own.

Regards,

Jude Miller
Small Craft Expedition Group - USA
Mermentau River @ Lake Arthur, Louisiana USA
Thanks. At 74 my Small Craft Expeditions these days is out to the crab pots and back!!!
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Glad to see someone is still alive out there. No one has posted anything in over a month. I was getting worried thinking that everyone went to paddle boards or large 40 foot power boats!!!!
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

well, I was not posting as I did not want to monopolize the conversation
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Well, My boat is in the annual deep freeze mode and I am out of inspiration! ;) But the good times,they will a be back! :)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

I am waiting for decent weather to correspond with my days off to work on Spark. So far it has rained on most of them