Almost back in the water

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Almost back in the water

Post by Michel »

That is very nice! I do as you do! I am friend with all kinds of sailors ; kayaks, canoes, power boats, paddle boards, etc... I also know that my sailing ground is not "Lake Champlain" but it is situated at about five minutes from my home. I can see the river from my front yard. That is not a bad thing! ;)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Michel wrote:That is very nice! I do as you do! I am friend with all kinds of sailors ; kayaks, canoes, power boats, paddle boards, etc... I also know that my sailing ground is not "Lake Champlain" but it is situated at about five minutes from my home. I can see the river from my front yard. That is not a bad thing! ;)

That five minutes from the house would be FAR too much of a temptation for me. I don't do enough around the house now, I would have to move my office to dockside if that were the case!!!

WHERE ARE YOUR VIDEOS?????????

IT'S TIME, WE ARE ALL GOING INTO WITHDRAWAL. EASE US BACK INTO IT, POST SOME OLD ONES IF NECESSARY!!!
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

I am looking forward to make new ones! :)

One from 2016!
https://youtu.be/nQkvbpm7dgI
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Michel wrote:I am looking forward to make new ones! :)

One from 2016!
https://youtu.be/nQkvbpm7dgI

Merci Beaucoup

Beautiful beautiful beautiful Michel.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Bienvenue!.... ;)

Some images of my old boat under sails.

https://youtu.be/HNvqxRW7jsA
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY

I finally made it back in the water today!!! Didn't sail long about 2 hours give or take and since this was the first time I have sailed in almost a year I was quite rusty. I sailed in an entirely new environment, Kings Bay in Crystal River Florida. In Jacksonville when I sailed the big obstructions were bass boats doing 80 mph on the St Johns River. In Tennessee it was Pontoon boats and Jet skies in the way. Here it was KAYAKS!!!!! When I was trying to return to my slip there must have been 30 of them clogging up the fairway!!!!! I don't know who had the right of way but I just assume they do and stay out of everyone's way regardless. Colregs (which actually apply in Crystal River) tells us even if you have the right of way if you could have avoided the accident you are still wrong!

It was a good sail with temps topping out at 87, winds between 3 and 8 kts and the barometric pressure 30.5 and steady.

It really felt good to get back on the water!!!
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

I hear you when it comes to Kayaks. There seems to be a lot of 30 something to 50 something women who like to kayak on the lake we sail. I can't really blame them its the only 10 hp limited lake around.

They typically travel in pairs, threesomes or foursomes. They paddle out in the middle of the lake then raft-up and then just float around and talk. Don't get me wrong they usually do make some very delightful scenery. Most of them tend to shed their life jackets while they are rafted. It just seems that whenever you get ready to tack, or when the wind picks up a bit to make things a little more lively, they are right there in front of you.

I guess it could be worse. At least we are enjoying the great outdoors.

Congrats on the sailing trip.
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

GregWads wrote:I hear you when it comes to Kayaks. There seems to be a lot of 30 something to 50 something women who like to kayak on the lake we sail. I can't really blame them its the only 10 hp limited lake around.

They typically travel in pairs, threesomes or foursomes. They paddle out in the middle of the lake then raft-up and then just float around and talk. Don't get me wrong they usually do make some very delightful scenery. Most of them tend to shed their life jackets while they are rafted. It just seems that whenever you get ready to tack, or when the wind picks up a bit to make things a little more lively, they are right there in front of you.

I guess it could be worse. At least we are enjoying the great outdoors.

Congrats on the sailing trip.

And the dirty old man scenery!!!!

I remember a number of years ago I was sailing on the St Johns River in Jacksonville when a power boat came past maybe 100 yards off. Just as it got abreast of me (pardon the pun) the female on board took her top off and waved at me. Of course I was maxed out at about 3 kts! I ended up hyperventilating blowing on the sails trying to keep up!!!
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

LOL. Haven't been that lucky. They leave their swimming suits on in Iowa. But from what I have told au-natural boating activities tend to take place on the Mississippi river. Usually in the presence of alcohol.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Well! They're not about to get their top off in my region! (Montreal) This is how it was today!

Imageneige9avril by Michel Boulet, sur Flickr
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~