How far do you sail?

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

john_k
Regular Contributor

How far do you sail?

Post by john_k »

On a small boat with limited sanitary facilities - how far are you willing to go in one day?

Last year's biggest cruise was supposed to be 13nm there, eat lunch, 13nm back to the marina, from Sutton's Bay to Northport in Lake Michigan- 26 nautical miles in one day.

no wind :roll:

We had plenty of gas, but I really didn't want to motor, so we gave up about half way there. We did manage to find a "sail up" restaurant and had a nice lunch at what was probably the 6 mile marker. It was a great day on the water, but we didn't make our destination.

This year I'm considering Escanaba to Fayette in the Bays de Noc (Lake Michigan). 21nm each way - return trip the next day.

42 miles in two days, with no real place to stop in between. I guess you just make sure you take plenty of gas.

When you are planning a trip, how far do you expect you can go in one day?
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Re: How far do you sail?

Post by Michel »

I once made Montreal to Trois-Rivières in a day (About 90 nm) and the next day I went up to Quebec city (About the same distance) It took me four days to make it back because of the current. (I had to motor a lot!...)
I was sailing in my 18½ foot Sandpiper 565.
But that was the most extreme I did. I usually will do a lot less when cruising and mostly day sail now.
https://youtu.be/UmH13085mvQ
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~