First sail of the year!

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

Michel
Recognized Old Salt

First sail of the year!

Post by Michel »

At last the level of the Saint-Lawrence got low enough so it became possible to use the ramp! That will be a short season but I hope it will be a good one! :)

https://youtu.be/hnzUWY2HPMA

First time I really get the time to feel that new boat! I never sailed a dinghy before! :) It was not a bad thing to go out in light wind.
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Re: First sail of the year!

Post by lustyslogger »

Michel wrote:At last the level of the Saint-Lawrence got low enough so it became possible to use the ramp! That will be a short season but I hope it will be a good one! :)

First time I really get the time to feel that new boat! I never sailed a dinghy before! :) It was not a bad thing to go out in light wind.

Yea, you are back!!!! I was worried about you.

I made it out once so far this year. Having problems with the boat, with the weather, with me. But it was a real morale booster hearing from you again. Thanks
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

I am hoping for August for me. Between all the rain and my truck being down for two weeks, my boat has been stuck in storage half primered/half bare wood
JacquesR
Regular Contributor

Post by JacquesR »

Michel. Did you get to test your mast flotation system or are you waiting for the water to get a bit warmer? I went out for the first time this season on July 1. Hope to get out again soon, weather permitting.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

lustyslogger wrote:
Michel wrote:At last the level of the Saint-Lawrence got low enough so it became possible to use the ramp! That will be a short season but I hope it will be a good one! :)

Yea, you are back!!!! I was worried about you.

I made it out once so far this year. Having problems with the boat, with the weather, with me. But it was a real morale booster hearing from you again. Thanks
Thanks Norman! No problems apart that the ramp was flooded! Impossible to back up the boat without drowning my minivan! But I thought about it and I will get me a dolly for next year ad I will be able to launch her by hand, without the car!... ;) I wish you a good season. :)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Art Haberland wrote:I am hoping for August for me. Between all the rain and my truck being down for two weeks, my boat has been stuck in storage half primered/half bare wood
Well we are almost in august! You will have a few good months to go. We only need some good weather. :)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

JacquesR wrote:Michel. Did you get to test your mast flotation system or are you waiting for the water to get a bit warmer? I went out for the first time this season on July 1. Hope to get out again soon, weather permitting.
I really don't feel for that kind of experiment but I believe that if the flottation I added is OK for a person holding the mast, it will be OK for the mast only!... I prefer to reef and not capsize but if it happens, I will do my best. ;)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

By the way, I managed to make my main sail a lot better by freeing the luff rope. The rope had shrunk and it made the saill look very puffed out! :)

Before!
ImageDSCN4844 by Michel Boulet, sur Flickr

After!
ImageDSCN4911 by Michel Boulet, sur Flickr

;)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

The ramp I use. It is situated at about 750 meters from my home.

ImageIMG_20190711_181723696 by Michel Boulet, sur Flickr
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

yes, when the ramp the floating dock goes UP from the stationary, you have some high water. I heard the Great Lakes are something like five feet higher than normal