If this goes on!

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

If this goes on!

Post by lustyslogger »

I was sitting, sort of daydreaming, smoking my pipe, when suddenly a violent rain storm ensued. The winds picked up to close to 30 kts and the rain was coming down in buckets. The wind was blowing the water over the railing and I began to get soaked. As the winds picked up I started rocking from side to side, first to port and then to starboard. I began to fear I would be thrown into the maelstrom. I was rising and falling heavily. I knew I had to put in a reef or surely I would be capsized. I looked out over the railing and could see objects in the water screaming past me. I yelled to my crew to put in a reef. Petunia barked back an “Aye skipper” and went to work. The wind picked up even more. I was beginning to get worried. Suddenly, as soon as it started the wind died down as did the rain.

It was then that I realized I was sitting on my front porch in my porch swing, swinging back and forth. The spray was nothing more than the rain blown on the porch by the wind and the objects in the water was leaves and twigs floating down the middle of the street because of the water backup! I wasn’t on my boat at all! I was merely in my porch swing sitting out a typical Florida thunder storm!

I have to ask you all, is anyone else becoming delusional because of being “confined to quarters” because of this damn quarantine!
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Re: If this goes on!

Post by lustyslogger »

I finally decided to defy authority and took a trip to the Lusty Slogger on Sunday. I hadn't been out there since the middle of March. I just had to make sure she was still afloat and not water logged. To my complete surprise her interior was dry, even though we had several hard rains. So, my automatic bilge pump was still active and kept any water out of her cockpit. Although I keep her covered with a Sunbrella tarp there is still a one inch gap at the stern that allows some water to enter the boat. No water!!

I didn't go out because conditions were not to my liking. Hopefully next time! BTW, to get around the stay at home restriction except for necessary trips for groceries etc I carried a bag of groceries in the car. If I were to be stopped I would simply say I was on my way home from the Fresh Market in The Villages. Well, it might work.
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

Of course if you told the cops the truth, they still might have let you go. They do not want to have to help salvage a sunk boat any more than you do
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

The police in NJ must be more customer service oriented than those in Florida. Here, if the boat were sinking they would write me a ticket for clogging the waterways!
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

At least your boat is in the water. The DMV closed the day I brought my M17 home. I legally cannot even move from my driveway as the trailer has no tags and I can't get them at the moment. I would hope the cops would let me slide due to the issues at hand, but I am not taking chances.

I could take the GP14 out, but the water is still cold and a dunking could be fatal due to hypothermia
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

We are going trough some hard times! I know about guys who live here in Quebec and have their boats on Lake Champlain! It is impossible to cross the Canada/USA line and it will be like that for how long?
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

The tags on my car expired, the police said they are not enforcing tag violations due to the DMV offices being closed. But even though the DMV offices are closed, their network portal is still open and they are happy to take money. I got new tags in record time. It typically it takes a month to get tags through the mail, mine showed up in 4 days. Might be worth a look see.
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

that sounds great Greg.. but I already emailed the DMV, they cannot process transfer of ownership at this time. Especially out of state.