Essential gear vs nice to haves/ Welcome Race Boss!

A forum for discussion about the Race to Alaska ( http://www.racetoalaska.com )

Moderator: Moderator

JollyRoger
Regular Contributor

Essential gear vs nice to haves/ Welcome Race Boss!

Post by JollyRoger »

I would like to share my current race equipment list and see what you guys think. To me currently everything goes but I know I have missed something essential for the PNW. What would you add or what would you leave behind. Any and all comments are welcome, I'm putting myself out there so please don't "leave me hanging" so to speak. I really am hoping to find out what your thoughts are and what you are taking.

List of Electronic and battery operated equipment.

Garmin 640 chart plotter
6 each batteries for Chartplotter
G2 vision card for chartplotter
Spare Marine GPS Garmin 76
Globalstar Sat Phone
Solar charger for all.(25W)
Compass Watch
Deck Compass
SPOT Tracker.
Backup SPOT unit.
Cobra VHF radio’s 2 each
Emer Transmitter, EPIR/PLB
Full Set of Navigation light
Handheld highpower spotlight
Headlamp plus backup
20 mi laser pointer- night signal
PFD emer strobe- night signal
Scuba light for PFD
Bilge pump

Other expedition equipment

Water Desalinator, Spare filter, repair kit.
Camel back water bags, jug
Radar deflector
Single blade carbon paddle
Greenland carbon paddle
Exped air mattress/chair 2 ea.
Dream Walker sleeping bag
Emer excape bivysack
Hensley Hamock tent
Bear Spray
Full dry suit
Cold water survival suit
Sail/paddling clothes 3 sets,2 layers
Includes bike shorts, wool socks, neoprene
booties, dri fit tech shirts (2ea)and pants, drytop.
Reef boots
Sailing, neoprene, and cold weather gloves
Head gear-,sun,ran, cold,3 ea.
Ski goggles
Personal floatation device PFD
Emer gear for PFD (MOB) (kept in PFD) see photo.
Jet Boil and fuel
Emer Fire starter kit
Expedition thermos and container
Portage Cart (3 lbs)
Anchor, chain and 300’ rode
Emer Sea anchor and rode
2each paddle leashes, 1 surfbd leash
Boat floatation bags, 2 ea.

Photos of gear can be seen here in the photo album.
https://www.facebook.com/R2AKTeamDiscovery

Thanks, Roger
Last edited by JollyRoger on Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgthom
Regular Contributor

Re: Essential gear vs nice to haves

Post by rgthom »

Thanks for starting this. I am only doing stage 1 this year but will review your list as general expedition gear. One item not shown is spare SPOT batteries, they are AAA Energizer Ultimate Lithium 8x batteries (L91), maybe not generally available on route.
Bumbazer
New Contributor

Post by Bumbazer »

I'm thinking about doing this race so I will throw a couple of things out there concerning gear. The R2AK race committee will need to let the racers know how the spots are to be used. Will they be in constant tracking mode (battery intensive) or will racers be pushing the button once an hour while they are on the water? This can help racers plan for spare battery count.

Also bear spray is a regulated item coming into Canada from the states (don't know why). Some places they confiscate them at the crossings and other places they turn a blind eye so to speak. A form needs to be filled out and an OK issued ahead of time in order to bring it across the border. Can the R2AK talk to Canadian customs and find out if racers can be cleared in mass ahead of time to carry bear spray through Canada? You can buy bear spray in Canada but I doubt whether it is readily available in downtown Victoria next to the harbor.

For the really small boats you might want to consider bringing a dry suit for the two big open crossings. If you don't have a dry suit then I would think about bringing a farmer john wetsuit to put on under the paddling clothes. From experience, that cold of water will pool your blood quickly, it's difficult to swim or get a breath to climb back on board if you happen to dump it.
RaceBoss
New Contributor

Post by RaceBoss »

Hey all,

Race Boss here. Means I'm heading up race logistics and planning for the race. I wanted to respond to two things:

1. Bear spray is not allowed across the border, but readily available in Victoria.
2. We are using the newest generation SPOT trackers, which use much less juice then older models and do NOT require the user to press any buttons for regular operation. It's motion sensitive and automatically sends location updates. I don't have precise energy uses, but am working on getting specific numbers. So far, all I know is that they are more energy efficient then older models. I'll update as I know more.
JollyRoger
Regular Contributor

Post by JollyRoger »

Thanks for jumping in and adding the input so quickly.I am not a big time forum guy, I only really add input to one other, So replies and input are very welcome.
And good catch on the spare spot batteries, I have dry box with spare tripple, double and C's but no lithium, will get those. And good point with the bear spray, mine is 8 oz. so if not allowed into Canada I will rely on noise first and then flare gun.
I had a few contacts on my page with questions. If you do go there you have to click on the album section and then Expedition equipment link, in the description heading there is a link to photobucket with the rest of the photos. After reviewing my photos I see that I did forget a few things on my list above so here they are-

-unbrella -especially handy to have, mounts to boat, comes off in seconds.
-Spare battery's, -(dry box)
-Paper Charts- still having trouble with that without spending a fortune.
-First Aid Kit. (I have two, one in pdf and one in ditch bag) Main one is extensive and contains sutures , slings, eye patche, temp cast, snake bite kit etc.
-Hand operated bilge
-Dry bags and boxes-Too many to count- (If in Dry bag I double bag)
-Rubbish bag(not just trash bag- bungee closing, zipper bottom)
-Bailing bucket with cap (holds wagbags with poopower)
-Flares- (both in pfd and on boat)
-Two Luci lights- Waterproof and solar powered weigh just oz's.
-Two bug nets- one for head and one that two folks can sleep inside.
-Poly Tarp
-boat rollers- depends on boat used- either pool noddles or inflatable.
-Boat repair kit- in dry box- again, depends on which boat is used.
-Ditch bag-Contains several items on the list and also this next item-
-Dry bag of emer camp clothes and hypothermia kit.
-Personal dry Bag- holds many items from soap to anti Monkey Butt!
JollyRoger
Regular Contributor

Post by JollyRoger »

Welcome RaceBoss!

Understood on the bear spray, I'm gonna smell so bad they will not consider eating me anyway! :D
Jake Beattie
New Contributor

Post by Jake Beattie »

"-Paper Charts- still having trouble with that without spending a fortune."

I just spoke with the Wooden Boat Chandlery staff about this. We're exploring creating a AAA style flip chart that will give you the most common routes in a laminated format without spending a fortune. More soon.
rgthom
Regular Contributor

Re: Essential gear vs nice to haves/ Welcome Race Boss!

Post by rgthom »

I asked RaceBoss if laser flares were acceptable instead of pyrotechnic flares. He said since this is a CG requirement I should check with them, so I did. CG in San Francisco said they are considering approving laser flares, but right now only pyros are approved, here is an ABA article just out: http://www.americanboating.org/safety_l ... ignals.asp
We can carry laser flares or other signalling devices, but need pyros on board to pass a CG inspection. I'm not happy about this, especially since my boat is wood, but there we are.

Rick
RaceBoss
New Contributor

Post by RaceBoss »

Hey there folks. Race Boss here.

Just wanted to report on SPOT tracker battery life.

The Lithium ion batteries last about a week according to Globalstar (I would estimate 5 days) and alkaline (Duracell) about half that. A light blinks red when the batteries are low.

That you may already know, but there is some testing going on right now by a physicist who has a lab in Vancouver (also an avid sailor) who is estimating the requirements for the Van Isle 360 based on battery type. He is supposed to finish testing by the end of Feb, so we will let you know the results then.

Hope this helps when you are thinking about what to pack!
Race Boss
JollyRoger
Regular Contributor

Post by JollyRoger »

I am new to radar reflectors. I currently have one round tube style about 3" x 24" tall mounted to the stern light post so it is aprox 1' above the boat hull and goes up vert. to 3' above the hull. I sit aprox 6' in front of it so it is in pretty clean view. I was hoping to get some info from someone who knows if this might be enough? Any experience here? It would be hard for me to mount to sail mast since it is roller furling main, so if furled at all it would get covered up. Thanks,
Roger
Last edited by JollyRoger on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.