SCAMP Cabin sides seem too short

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

boblarkin
New Contributor

SCAMP Cabin sides seem too short

Post by boblarkin »

I have been happily building SCAMP #343. All has gone well and I am continually amazed at how well the pieces fit together. But, this week I found the cabin sides to apparently be about 25 mm short in height.

For the sides to meet with the cabin top, they need to be attached high (against the cabin top). When I do this, the bottom of the sides sit above the side decks. Attaching them low would leave the sides not long enough, as well as leaving a gap at the top

The instructions say to, "notch the fore end of the sides to fit onto the foredeck," and to, "screw them into the carlins at the bottom." Neither of these is apparently possible for me.

I checked the physical cabin side panels against the drawings, and they were indeed about 25 mm short.

I tried to search this site for any reference to this issue with no success. This led me to think I was missing something (again?). Has anyone else seen this?

Bob
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Re: SCAMP Cabin sides seem too short

Post by pocketyacht »

Hello Bob
Can you put a cabin side in place, photograph it and then post here?
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Bob,

Yes the cabin sides sit low at the top, maybe 25 mm plus or minus. There is a rail that takes up the space.

It is notched at the front to fit under the deck but the bulk of the length of the lower cabin side is flush with the carlin or inwale.

Here's a series of photos from Noddy's build. Maybe not in sequence :-)

Hope this helps...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by simeoniii on Sat May 14, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

More Noddy photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
boblarkin
New Contributor

Post by boblarkin »

SCAMP_CabinSide1.jpg
Here is a picture with the side held on with a few screws. At frames 2, 3 and 4, the side is 5 mm below the intersection with the cabin top. This would not be a problem to fill. The fore-aft position was set by temporarily placing the cabin top over the mast trunk, which has a snug fit.

The gap is about 3 mm over the side deck, a bit more on the aft end, and a bit less towards the bow.

I hope this helps.

Bob
boblarkin
New Contributor

Post by boblarkin »

Thanks Simeon. Your solution would seem to be possible, although it leaves the projection of the side lines at the top not aligning. It appears from your photos that you butted the cabin side to the rail. Did you add tape? One could rabbet the rail, and maybe that is hidden in the photo.

As a note for others building from the kit, the photos 131, 132 and 133 of the instructions are not possible. Also, the instruction, "[the rail] will be screw/glued in place on the outside of the cabin side. Screw in from the inside..." is not correct, nor is the detail of sheet 3 that shows overlaps at the top and bottom. For those that are building from plans only, I believe they will have enough cabin side for overlaps at the top and bottom.

Onward! Bob
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Bob,

Not sure about your meaning re "the projection of the side lines at the top not aligning".

The rail was butted to the cabin sided and screwed in place from the inside. There was no rabbit on the rail. Just trimmed the overhang of the top to the rail.

I did not use tape but the whole cabin top and rail was later covered with the 6 oz FG cloth.

The effect of the side rails and the filler pieces that are installed under the overhangs of the cabin top forward of B-2 and aft of B-3, is to give the cabin top the appearance of being about 1/2" thick instead of the 1/4" the cabin top actually is.

You are right that the plans Sheet-3 detail is not correct for kit builders.

You may notice that port and starboard views are a bit different due to my sloppy build. All now looks even after filler etc generously used.

More photos follow.
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
boblarkin
New Contributor

Post by boblarkin »

Simeon, thanks much for all the pictures and ideas. This is very helpful.

I'm ready to glue the sides! The portlight cutouts were located based on the sides going to the top, and because of this, I am going to add to the sides at the bottom. That should accomplish all goals, with a reasonable effort. I would not recommend that for anyone that is starting with solid panels!

The comment on the projection of the sides is that the aft end of the cabin side is sloped and if one lowers that away from the top, the projection of that aft edge will move forward on the top. Since both the top and the side are 1060 mm (where they come together), it will require a small amount of sanding/filling to make the lines straight. I don't think it is a big deal!

Thanks, again, Bob
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Good, looks like you gents have communicated well. I'll stay out of the discussion.
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Glad to be of service!

Me, I'd add to the sides at the top, if necessary, to give a more structurally solid base to the cabin. Visually, with the cabin top overhang, I think the portlights would look just fine being just a smidgen low.

Cheers...
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11