Everglades Challenge Report

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Editors
Site Admin

Everglades Challenge Report

Post by Editors »

Hi All,

We'll use this folder for Jackie's (storyteller) reports from the west coast of Florida as Mike (woodcutter) and Andrew (krunch) compete in the grueling 300-mile long Watertribe Everglades Challenge in their just built 11' 11" SCAMP.

Our friends at Duckworks (co-sponsors of Team SCAMP) have assembled a nice collection of links to help follow the race from afar. Click here: http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/11/webwatch/ec/

—Eds
The smaller the boat the bigger the adventure.
keyhavenpotterer
Regular Contributor

Re: Everglades Challenge Report

Post by keyhavenpotterer »

Well, there off on their way and doing 5.25 knots!!

Brian
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Just erased a long page report here! :oops:

No suspense, they got off fine shortly after dawn today. She rolled on the boat fenders easily down the sand with Mike and Andy pushing, they jumped in over stern and scrambled up the ladder. Mast was up, sails were set and they spun off rapidly with the balanced lugs full, no reefs taken. They were gone and over the horizon faster than you could blink almost.

The Scamp attracted a lot of attention both yesterday and today. Lots of builders who already had plans came, along with many who want to order plans. I reccomended kits to everyone, as I think that is fastest way for most people to get on the water in one.

She was photographed over and over, so there should be many posted. Mine will come a bit later today as soon as I can post them. One of my dear friends, JohnHWright from Texas, was soloing his Michalak Laguna 23 and pulling it down the sand. Some of us hung around until he launched, one of last to go. The boat is 23 feet and John weighs all of 120 lbs., plus he just celebrated his 71 birthday this week I think.

You are as young as you think you are!

More tonight or this afternoon. Will try for photos sooner if I don't erase.

Jackie Monies
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Thanks for the report, Jackie. Keep 'em coming!
Editors
Site Admin

Post by Editors »

Hard to get a real accurate feel for the race from afar, but watching the satellite tracking map it appears Mike and Andrew on SCAMP have been sailing outside on the open bay and have so far stayed ahead of the 14-foot Blue Jay, the 17-foot Daysailer, and several others. They've also just managed to occasionally pass a sailor in a Hobie Adventure Island. They're presently chasing boats like the WETA trimaran and the 20-foot Michalak Frolic.

The other smallest boat in the race, an almost 12-foot catboat, has been making good time well offshore, but it appears SCAMP has pulled roughly even now. The Wayfarer and Laguna appeared to have trouble getting off the beach, but both seem to be doing well and trying to catch the pack. The 19-foot sharpie design, the B&B Yachts' Core Sound 20, and the Gougeon brother's rocket sled i550 are setting the pace for the monohulls. The Sea Pearl 21 is doing well also, although he reports a close call and some bailing as a result of a wicked powerboat wake.

Mike and Andrew seemed to exchange leads with 16-foot Saroca sailing canoe, but the canoe ducked inside at the cut-through and lost some ground. It appears Mike and Andrew have decided to stay outside in what is described as hard on the wind sailing. Another competitor reported lots of spray and several opted to go back inside, so it must be fairly bumpy. It appears two boats have dropped out already. One sailboat had an equipment failure, and the 24-foot Wa' apa sailing canoe had a mast step failure and damage to the deck.

Hopefully Jackie will fill us in later with details from the Mike and Andrew themselves. Steady as she goes, it's a long race. —Eds
Editors
Site Admin

First Photos from the EC

Post by Editors »

jwboatdesigns
Regular Contributor

Post by jwboatdesigns »

keyhavenpotterer wrote:Well, there off on their way and doing 5.25 knots!!

Brian

Not bad for a heavily loaded little boat with a theoretical hull speed of 4.45 knots. That polytarp sail looks nice, I'd love to see a good photo or two of it at the end of the event to see how the material stands up.

Heres a link to the Watertribe SPOT track site, note that a lot of the faster ones are kayaks and that Woodcutter and Krunch are holding their own with some much bigger boats.
http://watertribe.com/Events/ChallengeM ... eID=EC2011
JohnW
Bob Throne
Regular Contributor

Post by Bob Throne »

Thanks for the reports & pics .. Scamp looks great ! on the water

Bob Throne
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Just talked to Mike on phone and he reports they are currently 11 miles north of Venice and close off shore on the outside, about 1/2 mile from land. They plan to sail all night to make it to checkpoint 1 by noon deadline.

Mike says they are sloughing to windward in light air coming from the southeast just where they need to go and dead into their face.

I asked about the tacks, if they were his usual 90 degree tacks? He says she hasn't missed a tack yet and she tacks beautifully in light or heavy seas or winds.

They ran into some rough conditions when they first went out with two foot seas close together waves, some confused seas going around first island. Mike says the Scamp is really dry, they have taken on no water at all even in the rougher water. No spray, nothing.

About Dave Gray's PolySail International tarp sails, Mike says they are beautifully shaped and performing fantastically. They have done no reefing at all yet since the winds are so light. I mentioned that a lot of the boats leaving beach were reefed (Mike and Andy shot out like a cannon with all 100 square feet up!)

Mike said the roughest conditions and winds were from beachto the first island and some people were having trouble there.

He says she is doing good and no problems at all so far.

Jackie Monies (for Mike and Andy)

P.S. I took over 200 photos of Scamp and others pre-launch and am getti ng them uploaded and reduced to post here.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Here goes first group of photos from yesterday. She got launched minutes before she had to be put onto beach for the EC.

First photos are the "One Marine Force" -Andrew Linn raising the aluminum mast complete with sail into the mast sleeve through the slotted opening in the verandah. A filler of wood goes there, along with a wooden piece that holds the mast firmly at cabin top.

Jackie Monies
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.