Building 417 from Plans

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

jhippe
Regular Contributor

Building 417 from Plans

Post by jhippe »

In the tradition of others that have gone on before me, I am going to attempt to document my attempts of building 417 from plans. I have never completed a boat but have some woodworking experience and have done some preliminary work on a Pelegrin which I have set aside so that I can complete a Scamp -- better suits my needs right now. Will return to the Pelegrin after the Scamp.

I started putting pencil to plywood about a week and a half ago and have subsequently completed the drawing on all bulkheads, centerboard case, seat longitudinals, seat tops and 4 of the 12 parts for the planks.

When drawing out the parts, I begin with drawing the center-line using my drywall T-square. To mark the millimeters, I use a metal yardstick with metric measurements.
Marking center line.jpg
From there, I used my metric rule to measure out from the centerline.
Marking from center line.jpg
When marking, I try to make it a habit of marking the measurement for double-checking later.
Writing measurement.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Re: Building 417 from Plans

Post by jhippe »

From there, it was a simple step of connecting the dots...
connecting the dots.jpg
Unless, of course, when I made a mistakes...
making a mistake connecting the dot.jpg
oops
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

For the planks, I had to draw a measurement line horizontal to the long edge. For the first plank this was easy. After drawing this, however, I noticed that the parts layout in the building manual has the first plank skewed so as to maximize the fit. I decided that I wasn't going to fiddle with that on the first plank, but did require me to skew the second plank, thus I had to get a bit creative with using my rules...
getting creative with rules.jpg
With the points marked out, I nailed in temporary nails outside the line to attach the batten
using extender board.jpg
Since I can only draw part of the plank which will have to be scarfed later, I had to use an extender board to carry the line all the way to the edge.
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

On the bulkheads, where there are semi-circles I was able to employ some recently re-acquired knowledge about how to find a center point and then swing the appropriate arc...
finding center between two points.jpg
finding center part two.jpg
swinging the arc.jpg
For those interested in learning more about geometry and how pre-industrial artisans use simple tools for drawaing furniture, buildings, and the like, check out the line of books written by George Walker and Jim Tolpin published by LostArt Press.
Timo
Regular Contributor

Post by Timo »

Interesting to see SCAMP being drawn and lofted from the plans, jhippe. If it feels difficult to find the center points, there exists an alternative method to draw the holes. Picture attached. The cardboard pattern is cut from a simple oat flakes box. The rest were drawn with computer.
Sailing Wayfarer #8188 Sarastus and building Scamp #371 Merisirri in Finland
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Only one day home this weekend so I spent the day knocking together an extra bench that I put next to my other layout bench. Now I have 17' of bench-top which will allow me to do scarfing on longer pieces and have more space for when I do my epoxy coating. Had to do some rearranging, so my Roubo bench is now relegated to the back corner of the shop for the duration.

Starting next Thursday, I will be home for a week so am hoping to get some significant progress done then.
IMG_1734.jpg
IMG_1735(1).jpg
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

After a week on the road for business, I was able to get back in to the shop today. Feel pretty good about the progress. I was able to cut out B1, B6, B7 and starboard side of B5. I cut with Jigsaw and then clean up the lines with a combination of jack plane, block plane, spokeshave, drawknife, and sander.
IMG_4358.JPG
IMG_4359.JPG
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Got some more time in the shop today. Finished cutting out all bulkheads and the centerboard case. On B4 I chose to go with he adjusted opening and faired the top curve much like Jason did.
IMG_4360.JPG
IMG_4363.JPG
Below is a picture of me using the drawknife to get into corners.
IMG_4361.JPG
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Yesterday was a sick day so no work done. Today I got a few hours in so I drew up the centerboard, cut out and glued up the blanks. I am hoping that the epoxy works. I am using Duckworks DWX epoxy with slow hardener which Josh said they had some problems with. First time using so holding my breath. Still pretty gooey after about two to three hours. Temp in the shop is about 63 degrees so I know it will take a bit longer.
IMG_4365.JPG
Also built the jig supports using Jason Builder's design he posted on his blog http://www.argobuilder.com
IMG_4364.JPG
jhippe
Regular Contributor

Post by jhippe »

Good news is that the epoxy seems to be setting. Still a bit rubbery this morning but setting.

Today I started the daunting task of scarfing panels. I ganged up the panels as suggested by John Welsford in his book using an 8:1 ratio. i had six panels of 6mm and two of 9mm.
IMG_4366.JPG
I used a combination of power planer -- first time using one. A bit scary as it can hog off a lot of material quickly -- even at its finest setting. Took a bit of getting used to how to use it but similar technique with a traditional hand plane. I followed with my jointer plane and smoothing plane and then finished up with a random orbital sander. All in all I am pleased with the outcome. A bit raggedy on the ends but still OK I think.
IMG_4371.JPG
IMG_4372.JPG