Question about Rigging - Rope Horse vs Traveler?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

GregWads
Regular Contributor

Question about Rigging - Rope Horse vs Traveler?

Post by GregWads »

Would there be an advantage to installing a curved traveler on the transom cap, vs the designed rope horse?

Or would it just make the boat more complicated?

Pictures of the arched traveler mounted across the transom of Art Haberland's GP14, in the General Discussion section, has sparked my interest.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Question about Rigging - Rope Horse vs Traveler?

Post by pocketyacht »

Greg
I wouldn't bother with installed a curved track traveler. I went with a simple adjustable rope traveler and it works great. I have used this on other SCAMP's I have built and will use on two I am currently building.
You can see it in the photo below. Note this is on SCAMP #2, she is rigged differently than other SCAMP's but the system I use is the same on other boats. It is adjustable (easily reached) on either tack. The traveler adjustment lines happen to be temporarily lashed around the tiller in the photo.
Hope this helps.
Untitledn 9.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

Your setup looks like the solution, especially after doing research into the cost and availability of curved track traveler. I am still in the making little bits of wood from bigger bit phase of construction. So like many other ideas, I will squirrel it away until it is time to put to use.

I also like the capability of being a ready-made tiller tamer.
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

Asa note. I wouldn't use it as a tiller tamer. I just happen to have my tiller tied center in the photo using the rope traveler.
GregWads wrote:Your setup looks like the solution, especially after doing research into the cost and availability of curved track traveler. I am still in the making little bits of wood from bigger bit phase of construction. So like many other ideas, I will squirrel it away until it is time to put to use.

I also like the capability of being a ready-made tiller tamer.
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

My sailing grounds are protected 60 acre to 150 acre inland lakes.

My concept of a tiller tamer is something to keep the tiller from flopping about for the few short minutes it takes me to raise or lower sail(s). I would not securely lash the tiller, as shown in your photo, but rather something that could quickly be released. But that is an experiment for later.
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

GregWads wrote:... something that could quickly be released.
TillerClutch by Wavefront -

http://smallcraftadvisor.com/tiller-clu ... evice.html
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
pocketyacht
Recognized Old Salt

Post by pocketyacht »

I think you misunderstand the photo. My boat is at a dock, there were potential boat wakes, I went ashore for a coffee and temporarily lashed the tiller. I do this sometimes as a quick helm centering technique.
GregWads wrote:My sailing grounds are protected 60 acre to 150 acre inland lakes.

My concept of a tiller tamer is something to keep the tiller from flopping about for the few short minutes it takes me to raise or lower sail(s). I would not securely lash the tiller, as shown in your photo, but rather something that could quickly be released. But that is an experiment for later.
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

Ok, Thanks for the info.