Basics of Sailing Upwind Well

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Basics of Sailing Upwind Well

Post by simeoniii »

Many new sailors struggle as they learn how to sail. Many new SCAMP owners are beginning sailors and get easily frustrated as they try to master going upwind efficiently in the lovely SCAMP they just built or bought.

For those sailors reading this post, here’s an excellent article on upwind sailing you can share with beginning sailors as they learn and develop their skills. It’s by Mik Storer, a highly respected small boat designer and guru when it comes to lug sail boats.

https://www.storerboatplans.com/sailing ... wind-well/

Enjoy the pleasures of sailing...
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
boatmik
New Contributor

Re: Basics of Sailing Upwind Well

Post by boatmik »

Thankyou for the kind words Simeon,

It is actually planned to be a bit more than one article.

More like a course with some subjects outlined and others not mentioned yet.
https://www.storerboatplans.com/free-sa ... sailboats/

I've been working on this for several months and will be posting a new article/lesson every week or so for some time.

If you would like notifications go toward the bottom of the page and a subscription window will open on the right of the page. No more than one email a week.

A whole section on gybing actually picks up on a talk that John Welsford and Howard Rice gave at Sail Oklahoma a few years back.

It is sortof like completing the circle.

Best wishes to all
Michael Storer
simeoniii
Recognized Old Salt

Post by simeoniii »

Thanks for the expanded explanation. I keyed in on the upwind bit as that confounds so many. You do such great work!

I’m not seeing the subscribe window on my iPad browser but I’ll check with my big computer and I’m sure it will be there :-)

I’m so glad to see you following SCA’s message board. Please chime in with your knowledge and advice wherever possible!
Simeon
Voyaging with Noddy, #11
boatmik
New Contributor

Post by boatmik »

Thanks Simeon,

I must admit I am not here as much as I would like to be.

My intergalactic empire (such as it is <wry smile>) is in so many different locations on the net it is tricky to keep in touch with them all.

I am particularly responsive to facebook (collective ugh) and direct email (bottom of top left column box on my storerboatplans.com website.

Best wishes to all
MIK
boatmik
New Contributor

Post by boatmik »

Collecting all the sailing techniques and lessons here. Welcome to use and share.

https://www.storerboatplans.com/free-sa ... sailboats/

Best regards
MIK