Scamp in Colorado?

The place to discuss SCAMP (Small Craft Advisor Magazine Project), our 11' 11" micro minicruiser.

Moderator: Moderator

Kip
New Contributor

Scamp in Colorado?

Post by Kip »

I'm brand new to the forum and I just picked up a set of plans to build my own Scamp. I'm very excited about the project and am planning on building my Scamp in Thailand. We live in Chiang Mai during the school year, we are teachers, and we summer in Colorado. I'd love to check out a Scamp "in the flesh" this summer. I'll be in the states from June 19th to August 6th and all of the time will be in Colorado.

Thanks for the excellent site and forum. I plan on asking loads of questions and posting pics of the process in Thailand. I'm sure it'll be much different than building in the states.

Kip Otteson
Chiang Mai, Thailand
johnmcneely
Major Contributor

Re: Scamp in Colorado?

Post by johnmcneely »

Hi Kip:

I am aware of 3 SCAMPs under construction in Colorado and a 4th one "may" be moving into Colorado to Aurora by mid Summer that is about 7/8th complete. Those are Sail #24 in Steamboat Springs, #53 in Evergreen, and number #82 in Broomfield. The latter two are in the Denver Metro area. Aurora is also a Denver suburb (its largest). Don't know whether any will be on the water by August 6th. Perhaps those owners may read your posting and reach out to you directly. —John
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

It is "iffy" but we had talked of bringing The Red Scamp, hull #4 up to Colorado for a weekend (or couple of days) sometime this summer. We were going to meet with John and Paul Breeding, anyone else wanting to sail with us and also to let some of the western builders meet up with Scamp.

Mike is sailing in the TX 200 again with her/him and then is furnishing the Scamp support boat for the Rockport, TX Small Craft Academy and Howard Rice in July.

So, we have to see if he can drive up to Denver area for a few days. We might be able to round up some of our Sail Oklahoma bunch to sail, too. (We are not all from Oklahoma of course!)

Jackie Monies (for Mike)
Johnny Walker
Regular Contributor

Post by Johnny Walker »

Kip. You are, of course, welcome to come to Steamboat Springs and sail on board MayFly (#24) being completed this week on hopefully sailing by Friday! I'm a retired "shop" teacher and we have traveled lots in Thailand so might have some stories to share.
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

Johhny, congratulations on completing #24 MayFly. Are you a trout fly fisherman by any chance as well? The MayFly is what attracts them, right?

Get some photos posted for us of her launch and sailing.

Maybe I can get Mike up there for sure now, as he wanted to sail with Dan Phy in #6 at Florida 120 and Dan broke his leg/foot? and sold the B. Frank! He really wants to get together with one or more Scamps to sail.

Jackie and Mike Monies (The Red Scamp)
Johnny Walker
Regular Contributor

Post by Johnny Walker »

Yes, I fly and spin fish. #24's ketch rig, with a stowed mizzen, should serve my fishing/sailing desires. Steamboat Lake (near my summer camp) is a good 4 hours NW of Denver and Lake Dillon less than 2 hours west. Maybe a rendezvous is in store and possibly our Thailand builders will join us. Or maybe we'll go help Paul finish #82. Johnny
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

a get together at Lake Dillon would be great!

--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
Johnny Walker
Regular Contributor

Post by Johnny Walker »

Lets kick around some dates for a Lake Dillon SCAMP rendezvous. I'll start. How about some where between July and mid-August? Weekdays would be quieter at the marina and lake. Lots of lodging near by and several campgrounds. Johnny (#24 in Steamboat). Hopefully going in the water on Friday!
Monies
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Monies »

The only date the Red Scamp is commited for in July is the last week in July when she is going to the Small Craft Academy in Rockport, TX to be support Scamp for Howard Rice.

We are not planning any excursions that I know of here because it is awfully hot in July and August in South or Midwest.

Jackie Monies (for Mike)
Johnny Walker
Regular Contributor

Post by Johnny Walker »

Well, you can count on COOL weather here at 8000'. My family lives in a tipi for 3 - 4 months each of the last 30 summers and we've been snow upon every month of the year! 80 degrees or so is our hot weather. SCAMP #24 rigging and sails went on today along with a few finishing touches to make her complete!!! Sail on June 1st after one fun year in my shop. Johnny