Login | Register

Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:57 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Would it be in bad taste to tell you it was in the mid 80's here today and I went sailing! Bit more windy than I like (12-15 kts) but it was a good sail. Only issue was it was also the last day of a Bass fishing tournament. The lake was full of 100 mph bass boats zipping from here to there. Biggest issues are (1) they believe they and only they have the right of way and its up to us to get out of their way and (2) they throw up a wake that allows me to practice my ability to sail in heavy surf without capsizing.

Otherwise, excellent sail with no problems.

Top Top
  Profile Send private message

Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:26 am

Recognized Old Salt

Not at all! I want to read all sailing stories! You point the power boats usual problem. I almost never go sailing during the weekends. It is the most dangerous times to be on the water period! It is the times for the speed boats and other noisy nuisances! I sail during the week days and I meet only fishermen and the seaway traffic. Fishermen are not a problem because they are very much like me! They enjoy a peaceful time afloat. The seaway traffic just follows it's routes and I know how to stay out of their way.
https://youtu.be/VnpYnx0ed4I

Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~

Top Top

Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:53 am

Recognized Old Salt

Michel wrote:
Not at all! I want to read all sailing stories! You point the power boats usual problem. I almost never go sailing during the weekends. It is the most dangerous times to be on the water period! It is the times for the speed boats and other noisy nuisances! I sail during the week days and I meet only fishermen and the seaway traffic. Fishermen are not a problem because they are very much like me! They enjoy a peaceful time afloat. The seaway traffic just follows it's routes and I know how to stay out of their way.
https://youtu.be/VnpYnx0ed4I

When I lived in Jacksonville I once sailed my then boat (a Leeward 16 by Lugar) in the St Johns River in downtown Jacksonville. The traffic was much like your video! It was not the best place to sail by a long shot!. The wakes thrown up by the container ships, even at slow speed were quite daunting. Plus add in the tidal current and it really sharpened your sailing skills. At one point the wind stopped and the tide was taking me down river toward the ocean, not a good thing. I dropped the anchor and the current actually rooster tailed over the anchor rode! Finally the wind came back, I raised the anchor and headed for the ramp!

However, I agree, the fishing boats and the cargo ships are not nearly as much a problem as the casual power boater thinking only of keeping his beer cold.

Top Top

Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:15 am

Recognized Old Salt

You had no motor or oars? (or oars!) ;)

This is when an anchor is such a nice thing to have! :)

Montreal
~~_/)~~

Top Top

Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:35 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Michel wrote:
You had no motor or oars? (or oars!) ;)

This is when an anchor is such a nice thing to have! :)

I had a paddle! I considered a motor would mark me as a traitor to sailing! Still just the paddle but I now also have a 55kw trolling motor and two batteries! Truthfully, I would like to have about a 4 hp motor but they cost more than I paid for the boat! I had a chance to buy a 2.5 hp Seagull for $200.00 but my wife and a "good" friend talked me out of it. I think I will regret that decision for ever!

I have discovered I tore my mainsail on Sunday. Its about a three inch L shaped tear. I think I caught it on a piece of wire. I purchased some sail repair tape and will see how well that works. I also will need to drop the mast and cut out that piece of wire that holds the starboard shroud to the spreader. I thought I had it wrapped tight but it is sticking out like a nail!

My wife gave me a very nice Spyderco knife for our anniversary. I immediately stabbed myself with it! Damn, its sharp. I had another one but that had a flat point on the blade. Somewhere in the move from TN to Florida it became lost. She bought me that one for our anniversary 6 years ago. It was a great knife.

I can tell this year will be a much better sailing year since I moved the boat to Lake Harris. Its only about 40 miles from the house (I was 55 in Tennessee) and my work load is slowing down since I have my daughter and grandson doing more work for me. So, I should be able to get out more. When I lived in Jacksonville I once went sailing on Christmas Eve. Jan and Feb it gets too cold for me and then July and August is 100 degrees plus 15 or 20 feet of rain every day!! That still leaves me two more months than I had in Tennessee when from mid November to Mid April it was in the 40's or less (Feb was down in the teens).

I am all ready to get back on the water!!!!! I just bought a map of the lake. Its about 20 miles from one end to the other. They are building a new bridge on the Tavares end so I may have another 15 miles of water available if the bridge is high enough. I think I need 21 feet of clearance.

Top Top

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:29 am

Major Contributor

lustyslogger wrote:
My wife gave me a very nice Spyderco knife for our anniversary. I immediately stabbed myself with it! Damn, its sharp.

During my time with Spyderco/Sage a huge number of folks did the same thing with their knives! When I loan/show one of my Spydercos I always warn them it is SHARP!

Good that you once again have excellent tool aboard. I have seven on SWALLOW.

:: Former owner of M17 #375 - SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former owner of M15 #288 - SCRED - https://www.freewebs.com/m15-named-scred/

Top Top
  Profile Send private message WWW

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:13 pm

Recognized Old Salt

I think a paddle is very good if you sail in a place without current. I love to sail without a motor. That first season without it was OK. I have to deal with current but my 12 foot oars are very much up to the task, in case of no wind conditions! :)

But the best thing about sailing dinghies is that they move well with almost no wind at all! :)

Montreal
~~_/)~~

Top Top

Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:46 pm

Recognized Old Salt

wdscobie wrote:
lustyslogger wrote:
My wife gave me a very nice Spyderco knife for our anniversary. I immediately stabbed myself with it! Damn, its sharp.

During my time with Spyderco/Sage a huge number of folks did the same thing with their knives! When I loan/show one of my Spydercos I always warn them it is SHARP!

Good that you once again have excellent tool aboard. I have seven on SWALLOW.

Its because of you she bought me the first one. Remember we met at the Annapolis boatshow in 2014 I think

Top Top

Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:23 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Went out again today. It was an epic sail. Started with wind speeds of 2.9 kts and 78.9 degrees. Sailed for about two hours when I noticed clouds building and wind increasing. Decided to head back to marina. Sailed for about another half hour. Winds now up to 6 kts (still very pleasant). Clouds still building. Entered the 3/4 mile or so entrance to the marina and park (narrows down considerably, couple of hundred yards. Wind stops! Ok, I have my trusty 55kw Minkota trolling motor. I twist the grip - nothing. I check the battery connections - nothing. The battery has died dead!!!! Takes another 2 hours to sail in the last mile or so because of 1.5 to 2.0 kt winds and about 500 tacks up the entrance. Finally I am close enough I start paddling. Two of the marina workers shout out, "need a hand". I say, "will a hobo eat a ham sandwich"? They push me in my slip effortlessly! I am more than grateful. It was an epic sail. Michel, its not enough to just have a motor. It would be nice if that motor also worked!!!!

Top Top

Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:52 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Hey Norman! The idea of an electric motor is in the air for me but so far I am very pleased with my giant oars! I will give them a real good chance next year before having to mind about a battery on board! ;)

Montreal
~~_/)~~

Top Top