Recognized Old Salt

Book Report - In Shoal Waters

Post by lustyslogger »

In Shoal Waters
A C Stock
213 pages
Published by Lode Star Books
Available through Small Craft Advisor.

"In Shoal Waters" has something of a double meaning. His 16 foot gaff rigged boat was named Shoal Waters and his sailing territory was the shoal waters of the Thames Estuary and the coast line of England. He sailed first "Zephyr" a 16 foot gunter rigged open boat and then he built Shoal Waters in 1963 and sailed her until his death in 2012. Most of his sailing was single handed. The book is a diary of all his voyages and gives an excellent insight into small boat sailing in England.

The book is a very good read and almost completely devoid of my pet peeve, sailing in storms and having near death experiences! It almost seems like most sailing adventures are designed to keep people from taking up the sport!. Mr. Stock gives us a sense of serenity and the adventure of going to places you have never been. Having a shoal draft allowed him to venture up creeks and streams 90% of the keel boats could never visit.

He casually speaks of waiting for the tide and one learns that knowing the dynamics of water movement is as important as learning the winds. Either it never gets dark in England or Mr. Stock never slept as he speaks constantly of getting under way at 0430 after dropping anchor at 2200. He does go out in some fairly brisk winds, 5 to 6 on the Beaufort Scale but it appears most are Force 3 to 4. He travels by the tides as much as by the winds.

All in all, the book is a very good read and I highly recommend it to all. If I had one complaint it would be there were only 13 photos in the book and it would have been nice to see more.

Thanks
Norman
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Re: Book Report - In Shoal Waters

Post by Michel »

I have read his first book : "Sailing just for fun" some years ago and I can say that I relate to that kind of sailing and cruising. But sadly the tides don't get up to my regular sailing region so I have to sail against the water most of the time.

BTW his successor on Shoal Waters ( known as Creek Sailor) is doing a fine job holding the flame up.
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Michel wrote:I have read his first book : "Sailing just for fun" some years ago and I can say that I relate to that kind of sailing and cruising. But sadly the tides don't get up to my regular sailing region so I have to sail against the water most of the time.

BTW his successor on Shoal Waters ( known as Creek Sailor) is doing a fine job holding the flame up.

Yes, I have that one too. I am starting that one now.

Btw, did you see the Sandpiper was mentioned in this issue of SCA?

When I sailed on the St Johns River in Mandarin Florida I was not affected by the tides either, although it was only about twenty miles from the ocean. The tides may have gone up and down a few inches but they were never an issue. (according to the tide chart the average range is about 6 inches at Julington Creek, which is where I sailed from.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

What issue?...

Here on the Saint-Lawrence, the tides (pretty strong) can reach up to Lake Saint-Pierre, just pass Trois-Rivières. Pass that point we only have a normal current going down. (One to two knots) It is a bit of work and time consuming to tack facing it.
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Michel wrote:What issue?...

Here on the Saint-Lawrence, the tides (pretty strong) can reach up to Lake Saint-Pierre, just pass Trois-Rivières. Pass that point we only have a normal current going down. (One to two knots) It is a bit of work and time consuming to tack facing it.

March - April.

Its in with the comments on other boats they have reviewed and liked.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Thanks! I will take a good look! :)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

I got my issue and I saw it! :)
Michel Boulet
Montreal
~~_/)~~
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Michel wrote:I got my issue and I saw it! :)

Glad I could help!