The Cost of New Boats.

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

The Cost of New Boats.

Post by lustyslogger »

Just received an issue of Sail in the mail today. Quick glance at all the new boats for "common ordinary sailors" The average price was about $300,000.00. The total cost of every sailboat I have ever owned came to $5425.00. Admittedly none of my boats would sail around the world but two at least could have sailed to the West Indies if I chose to do so. One 16 footer did sail from Jacksonville to the Dry Tortuga's (not by me however) and the 22 ft Helsen I owned sailed to the Bahama's from Tampa (again not by me)

What would be your ideal boat? Mine would be about 20 ft LOA, gaff rigged and made of wood. Enough room for two people to sleep in comfort or four in sin! Something like this

https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/eel/
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Re: The Cost of New Boats.

Post by Art Haberland »

wasn't it cruising world that once referred to a 35 footer as a "pocket cruiser"?

For production 'glass boats with world girdling potential, I like the Allied Sea Breeze and the Alberg 37. I am also fond of the Francis 26. they can be had for pennies compared to the new boats.
drascombe1980
New Contributor

Post by drascombe1980 »

Eel is a beauty. My ideal boat would be one that I was able to use a lot. FOr open boats the Drascombe Lugger, for a cruiser the Catalina 22. We have owned and towed both, much prefer the Lugger, we are day sailers :)
OliVDB5590
New Contributor

Post by OliVDB5590 »

All of these costs seem to relate to what's practised in the US, would you people happen to know what the prices would be for Europe? My wife and I were looking at houses in Greece there, and of course, that'd be the place where I'd own and use a boat, as I live in a capital city far away from any sea or lake otherwise.
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

OliVDB5590 wrote:All of these costs seem to relate to what's practised in the US, would you people happen to know what the prices would be for Europe? My wife and I were looking at houses in Greece there, and of course, that'd be the place where I'd own and use a boat, as I live in a capital city far away from any sea or lake otherwise.
https://www.yachtall.com/en/sailboats/greece
john_k
Regular Contributor

Post by john_k »

I once read a review in a magazine that referred to a $150,000 sailboat as “a good starter boat for a sailor on a budget.” Didn’t take me long to figure out I was reading the wrong mag.
OliVDB5590
New Contributor

Post by OliVDB5590 »

Thanks for the link, lustyslogger!

And yeah, john_k, I once ended up reading a magazine for yacht owners, too, before understanding my mistake!