Login | Register

Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:05 pm

Recognized Old Salt

I can see by the light, the clouds and the wind that autumn is truely beginning! I am not the racing kind so I reefed enough to sail confortably. I hope for a few good ones before it's over for this year! ;)

https://youtu.be/5VId851Wdkg

Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~

Top Top
  Profile Send private message

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Recognized Old Salt

I can tell its autumn in Florida as well. The temperature dropped all the way down to 92 today!

BTW, The Lusty Slogger goes back in the water tomorrow!!

Top Top

Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:43 pm

Recognized Old Salt

That's cold!....
Back in the water?... You mean the water is still liquid at that temp?... Have a great sail :)

Montreal
~~_/)~~

Top Top

Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:37 pm

Recognized Old Salt

I need to burn oakum for myself! I don't know what the Sea Gods have against me but today was a challenge to say the least! Left the house around 9:00 AM only to hear the bearings running very loud. Stopped the car and saw the end cap had come off the wheel bearings. Stopped by a local auto parts store and waited almost an hour to get some assistance. Fixed the wheel bearings and headed out. All was well. No real issues with raising the mast since we commandeered two young gentlemen to help. Did not bend the sails on, just motored over to the slip and tied up. Put out fenders and tied the boat securely. Grabbed the main halyard and started to pull it tight. Discovered I was pulling the wrong end and the unsecured end was now 18 inches short of being completely at the top of the mast! Commandeered another young man to help lower the mast so I could pull the halyard back down. Re raised the mast, discovered my flag halyards were missing! Decided at that point I would just wave a flag at any passing boats as I was not going to lower the mast again! Running out of time so I secured everything I had not finished and headed home. The first sail will be Saturday. At least I did not drop the clevis pin in the water like I usually do. Also I got to motor the boat the quarter mile from the ramp to my slip so I did get some on the water time today.

Top Top

Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:46 pm

Recognized Old Salt

That halyard thing is making me paranoïd! It happened to me two times this year! I am thinking about a continous line with a block on each ends! Like these lines for drying clothes! ;)

Montreal
~~_/)~~

Top Top

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:17 am

Recognized Old Salt

Michel wrote:
That halyard thing is making me paranoïd! It happened to me two times this year! I am thinking about a continous line with a block on each ends! Like these lines for drying clothes! ;)

I need to check into that. Thanks for the idea.

Top Top

Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:28 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Maybe just tying both ends together would do the trick? I will check on this next time I go for a sail. ;)

Montreal
~~_/)~~

Top Top

Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:09 pm

Recognized Old Salt

Michel wrote:
Maybe just tying both ends together would do the trick? I will check on this next time I go for a sail. ;)

I don't think that will make much difference since one end is supposed to be attached to a sail. I have lost the halyard twice before when it was bent on the sail and I pulled that end to hoist rather than the other. I guess if you tied them together when they were both loose that would be a cure.

Top Top