Buying a Compac 16

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Re: Buying a Compac 16

Post by Art Haberland »

but not that big a step from dearly departed Sea Sprite 23. Funny enough, as the Sea Sprite's size is rounded up and the Dolphin is rounded down, it is almost 2 feet longer, half a foot wider, and almost half a ton heavier.

Like I said though, if I got the Compac 16 or 19, I would be more inclined to take it out for a day sail than my recently restored GP14. While they are very different boats, I do not need the conflict with my admittedly precious free time.
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Art Haberland wrote:but not that big a step from dearly departed Sea Sprite 23. Funny enough, as the Sea Sprite's size is rounded up and the Dolphin is rounded down, it is almost 2 feet longer, half a foot wider, and almost half a ton heavier.

Like I said though, if I got the Compac 16 or 19, I would be more inclined to take it out for a day sail than my recently restored GP14. While they are very different boats, I do not need the conflict with my admittedly precious free time.

I had a Helsen 22 while in Tennessee. Nice old boat but I sail my AMF Sunbird more. Its easier, I can trailer it to interesting events and since I keep it in the water its cheaper to keep in a slip since its 6 feet shorter!

Besides, like someone once said "The view of the lake is the same from a 16 foot boat or a 30 foot boat! You are just closer to the water in the 16 foot boat.
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

That is the beauty of living along the shore. If I stay behind the barrier islands, I have hundreds of miles of protected if shallow water for the GP. On the other side I have thousands of miles of Atlantic Ocean for the Dolphin. I also cannot, in good conscience, ask people who have never gone sailing before onto the GP14. I also cannot ask my elderly parents, especially my father with his artificial hips, to scramble from one side to the other while tacking. The Dolphin is a much better boat for that
GregWads
Regular Contributor

Post by GregWads »

Congrats on the new (to you) boat. I looked the Yankee Dolphin as well. Looks like a nice boat. Looking forward to pics.

Happy Sailing.
Greg.
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

It appears that the Dolphin has fallen through. No real worries, I am looking at something that can do both gunkholing and coastal trips. Watch this space
Charlie P. (NY)
Regular Contributor

Post by Charlie P. (NY) »

I can tell you frankly that, while the ComPac 16 is robust and well made, the Montgomery 17 is heads and shoulders above it performance wise. We sailed our 16/II on the Finger Lakes and I'm pretty sure we appear on the chart of Skaneatales Lake (long and narrow and in a valley) as a stationary obstruction.
Charlie Pearsall
Mud Hen 17 (1986)
s/v Mad Hatter
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

My "new" wrinkle boat is home

Left at 8am, got back at 5 after driving from Atlantic City all the way to Babylon Ny and back. Only issue I had was a cop that didn't like me dragging a boat and trailer down the Southern State Parkway and made me get off.
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

Yes Sir!
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

Art Haberland wrote:Only issue I had was a cop that didn't like me dragging a boat and trailer down the Southern State Parkway and made me get off.
I'm puzzled by this as you obviously are not a commercial vehicle nor a semi. Was it because of height? The 6'11" restriction?
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
Michel
Recognized Old Salt

Post by Michel »

The cop was probably a jealous Potter sailor! ;)
Michel Boulet
Ex: "Mari-Bell" Sandpiper 565 (18.5367454 ft)
Now: "Papou" Tanzer 16 dinghy
Montreal
"Let the world say what it will"
~~_/)~~