Bucking the Tide

Boat talk and general conversation.

Moderator: Moderator

lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Bucking the Tide

Post by lustyslogger »

Just finished reading it. Good book, highly recommended. I know earlier I was critical of some of it but that is my nature. Overall, the book is entertaining and well worth whatever it is Josh is asking for it!!!
Dirk Visser 166
Regular Contributor

Re: Bucking the Tide

Post by Dirk Visser 166 »

Indeed, Captain Slogger!
Enthralling is a word I seldom find useful, but in this case of densely compact prose verging on the run-on, but always in the end making perfectly delightful sense, it characterizes this memorable writing well.

I have been trying to puzzle out how Buckman managed to do this so unrelentingly successfully throughout the story, since the first sentence of the Introduction set it's hook in my kindred spirit:

"There's a certain restlessness within many of us that agitates against estrangement from our wayfaring spirit, a part of our being that wants to adventure on life beyond the day to day business of things, to take roads less traveled, experience the thrill of discovery, live large, suffer a few privations, rise to challenges, and expand our vision of the world and its ways."

I can assure you he gets these things done in the book, in his way,
and the reader might well feel lucky to be along, in his own way, for the unique ride...

I sent Buckman an e-mail today with a list of half a dozen addresses of friends and family for him to ship the book to for me this holiday season.
As you mentioned, Josh also has copies available on the SCA site.

buckingthetide@gmail.com $10, postpaid, 241 pages, illustrated.

I have no doubt these wonderful people who made my gift list will gain some insights into my own quixotic life story too, if they open the book...!
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Well, I am not as fluid a writer as you are but for me either I enjoy the book or I don't. I don't go looking for hidden meanings etc. I enjoyed the book because I thought it was very descriptive of the areas he was in. You felt like you were on the boat with him and in several instances glad you were not! It does make you sit back and say Hum, I would like to give that a shot someday. However, the furthest I have ever sailed is from Jacksonville Florida to Palatka Florida, about 45 miles. Now, I have "steamed" a round trip "two years before the mast" from Long Beach California to Christchurch New Zealand by way of Yokosuka Japan, Subic Bay PI, Hong Kong China, Koashung Taiwan, Newport NSW Australia, Pago Pago Samoa and Pearl Harbor HI (with a slight side trip to Da Nang and somewhere north of the DMZ). If I had about 3 years and 500 lbs of Dramamine I would like to repeat that on a sailboat.

I also just bought "Ride the Wild Ocean" but haven't started it yet since I just got the Jan Feb issue of SCA. I subscribe to SCA, Good Old Boat and Woodenboat. Hopefully those three plus any books I can buy over the next month will keep me until March when I can get out again.

Also, apparently the book was self published and he didn't spend a lot of money on proof reading. I kind of liked that since it was more like he had just sat down and written me a letter about his adventures.
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

I went looking for that book on Amazon... the prices are insane
Dirk Visser 166
Regular Contributor

Art, forget Amazon in this case.
Buckman is marketing this book directly to readers for $10 with free shipping .
He told me he loves selling books this way.
Just e-mail him with your snail mail address...
..( See my above post..).
He sends you the book ... Then you send him a check to his return address.. Bingo!
He has fun selling, you have fun buying...(cover price is $18.95!)
Get ahold of a copy..., Like Lusty had to admit, it's a pretty unique and well spun yarn!
lustyslogger
Recognized Old Salt

Post by lustyslogger »

Its $18.00 thru SCA. I like to support SCA whenever I can.
Dirk Visser 166
Regular Contributor

Small Craft Advisor is a beautifully produced and culturally definitive magazine, a rare consistent gem, totally worthy of our support..

(This easygoing General Discussion, Boatbuilding, Scamp, and R2AK focused spinoff website is no slouch either!)

I recently ordered the random back issue box of 25 issues for $50, and felt lucky to catch up on getting into the roots and influences. Who would have guessed there was an early Morro Bay, Ca. chapter among other satisfying backstories ?

Being a self-employed small businessman myself for decades, I totally get that a repeat customer is a precious thing, and far more powerful than they typically realize themselves.

That it's really not so much about the present sale, as the future orders, is a perspective worth keeping in mind..
wdscobie
Recognized Old Salt

Post by wdscobie »

Art Haberland wrote:I went looking for that book on Amazon... the prices are insane
Wow ... I had to look after you said insane and I have to agree. If the book is really moving that fast at 109 bucks a shot, wish I had a few in my own library but I could put on eBay.

I like to support Josh and usually buy the books brought up here from the SCA store.
--
:: Dave Scobie
:: Liveaboard: Baba 30 DEJA VU
:: Owner M6'8" dingy
:: Former SWALLOW - https://saulboatswallow.wordpress.com
:: Former M17 SWEET PEA - https://m17-375.com
:: Former M15 SCRED - https://m15namedscred.wordpress.com/
Art Haberland
Major Contributor

Post by Art Haberland »

the book came today via SCA.. can't wait to tear into it
Dirk Visser 166
Regular Contributor

Hi Art ,
Yes, I gather from the author that he only has "several hundred" copies left in his inventory..I floated the idea ot a more deluxe second edition , but have not heard back..
But never mind that, just wade into it and tell us if the story and the telling has any effect on you...
At certain stages of the tale, I felt a strange affectionate dependency developing in me for the fate of the little vessel and her crew. Other times I had the feeling their adventures were chewing me up one side and down the other emotionally, before spitting me out.
By all means savor the last chapter, for me it was a deeply satisfying finale, begging for a sequel...